• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Learning more...

lovesbuggs

I'm a newbie at owning corns but have become so obsessed already. I got one for my son then a few days later had to have one of my own. I love LOVE my snow baby. I have spent hours upon hours reading everything I can read about corns. I want to learn more about identifying morphs and what it means exactly when someone posts something like "opal het anery A, mot" and "snow het lav, mot" ...(I copied those from a thread here on this site I saw). And also so I can look at pics and know at least pretty close to what morph they are? Like I know my snow is a snow but not exactly what kind. So can anyone tell me where I can find some good resources for information, sites or books I can start learning from. Beside this site...which I have learned immensely from in the past few weeks and Kathy Loves book which I carry with me everywhere lol. It's one of those read over and over again books :) I like the common terms sticky thread on here but I'm looking for very detailed info and pics if possible... I'm a visual learner lol. I know that a lot will also come from just learning as I go. I hope all this wasn't too confusing. Thanks in advance :)

Those are both good sites to learn from. To answer some of your questions more directly, "Snow" is a commonly used trade name in the reptile industry for an animal visually expressing the genes of Amel and Anery, those two occur in a lot of reptiles and amphibians, so that term is fairly universal. Corns, and other reptiles, can be confusing because most multi gene morphs are assigned a trade name but that doesn't tell you what genes are actually involved. In corns, a snow is homo, carrying two copies and therefore visible, of both Amel and Anery A. In corns, there is another similar but incompatible gene called either Anery B or more commonly Charcoal, and an animal carrying two copies of both those genes is called a Blizzard, looks very similar to a Snow but usually has less to no yellow as an adult and less or no pattern than a Snow. In corns, most genes are recessive, meaning that to visually show it, the animal must receive a copy of the gene from both parents. If they only receive one copy from a parent, they will not show the gene but do have the ability to pass it to their offspring. Such an animal would be called a het.
I hope that was more helpful than confusing! LOL!

Back