• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Leaving town . . .

bkastel

Hello all! I have a little dilemma and wonder if I might get some opinions.

I'll be leaving town in a few weeks with the family, driving from L.A. to Oregon, and will be gone for a week and two days. What I've been debating is whether or not to bring my year-old corn, Sirius, with me.

I've reviewed some threads on how to transport him, and I'm willing to, but I'm wondering if it's logical. I would have his bin all set up for the week that we're in Oregon, but, of course, after that week he'll have to be put through the trip back home. Though I know people do these things often, I don't want to stress him needlessly.

There will be no one to check on him if I leave him home, however, and I'd have to take it on faith that he'd be all right for a week -- and he probably would be, but it's the "things happen" idea that gets me all paranoid.

Any thoughts? I'm just not sure what makes the most sense.

When we go on vacation for a lil over a week, ours are fine. We've never had anything happen to any of them while we were gone, and we have a lot of snakes lol

Of course make sure his cage is secure, and he has enough water, and any other check you need to do.

Go on your trip, have fun, be safe, and don't worry! That's my advice!

I'd agree. Nine days will be fine as long as he's been eating well up until that point, has no health concerns and you have the maximum temperature steady.

At a year old, going nine days between feeds is pretty much a normal pattern.

To be on the safe side, put an extra water bowl in with him - it's statistically unlikely that he'll poop in both!

We have been gone almost a week and I miss my snakes for sure, but I know they are safe and warm at home. I fed them just before we left and filled their waters up to the top. Adding an extra dish just in case wouldn't be a bad idea. Snakes can go months without eating though I don't recommend it lol going a week or so without feeding wont bother them.

Have fun on your trip, btw where are you visiting in my beautiful state?

Guys, thank you for the advice -- my mind has been put at ease! I'll leave him home, then, and not worry about it (not too much, anyway!). I'll stick with the normal schedule and feed him before we leave, and I'll add an extra water bowl. I'll also draw all the shades in the apartment to keep it dark. It's barely started to cool down around here, which is a relief, but I don't expect it will get much cooler by then.

K. Rene, we'll be staying with friends in Klamath Falls, which I'm quite looking forward to!

Thanks again, guys!

K. Rene, we'll be staying with friends in Klamath Falls, which I'm quite looking forward to!

Thanks again, guys!

Your most welcome :D I know K- Falls it's just East of my homeland, their high school was in our conference so we went there for games and meets every year. I highly recommend Red's BBQ (a restaurant) very good food. Hope you have a great time, it should be cool there so bring a sweatshirt or two lol

Oh yes, I'm definitely looking forward to some cool weather, haha. And thanks for the recommendation, I'll remember that! ;)

Well, I'm sorry to revive this topic, but I was checking the 10-day forecast and it looks like temps here will be reaching the high 80s -- into 90 -- later this week. I'm leaving tomorrow, and I was really hoping the weather would be on the cooler side by now. Though I'd like to, I really can't afford to keep my wall-unit air conditioner running 24/7 all the time that I'm gone, and I'm wondering how Sirius would handle the warmer weather. I would have the shades drawn and the windows closed to keep it as cool as possible, but it does tend to get stuffy and warm in here. Am I over-thinking this?

Well, I'm sorry to revive this topic, but I was checking the 10-day forecast and it looks like temps here will be reaching the high 80s -- into 90 -- later this week. I'm leaving tomorrow, and I was really hoping the weather would be on the cooler side by now. Though I'd like to, I really can't afford to keep my wall-unit air conditioner running 24/7 all the time that I'm gone, and I'm wondering how Sirius would handle the warmer weather. I would have the shades drawn and the windows closed to keep it as cool as possible, but it does tend to get stuffy and warm in here. Am I over-thinking this?

How hot does your place get if it's 90F outside? Would putting a fan in a window help? How about leaving the AC running at a very low level? Meaning, it keeps the temperature below about 88F?

Without the A/C, I'd say it probably gets around mid to high 80s in the apartment, but I'm just guessing. I have a small, portable room fan -- I might be able to leave that running. Would it help, somehow, if I unplugged his heat pad also?

Leave the heat mat off, a fan running and extra water bowls so he can soak to get cool. I think that's the best you can do. If it goes to 88Fbut he can soak I think he'll be ok.

Back