• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

LED Lighting

w00dg0blin

Has anyone ever tried LED lighting for their viv's? I know corns really don't need light but I was more interesting for display purposes. LEDs draw very little current and you don't have to worry about heat. Plus, LEDs have advanced alot lately where they just aint dim little glowing things anymore (for instance truck brake lights). I ran across an aquarium post some where (long since lost it--wait, just found it, Aquariacentral.com) where someone wired two 12" blue Cold Cathodes inside his aquarium hood for a moon light effect. The results are pretty spectacular. Anyway, I was convince I could light my viv with LEDs. I have some experience with covert cameras so i was convinced I could run them off a 12 volt DC Adapter. I had one laying around so all I needed was the LEDs. Found a seller online that sells 12 volt LEDs for cars and motorcycles. So I got three white SuperFlux LEDs and some butt connectors (little tubey things that you just stick the bare wires in and crimp). Made a wood top for my viv and mounted the lights on the centerline about 7 inches apart (20 Gallon Long so it covers about 30 inches). OMG, the results are amazing. Why isn't this posted anywhere?

DSCF1465small.jpg

Three white SuperLux LEDs ($3.29 a piece) plus shipping $14.07 (from Oznium,com)

Some butt connectors from a local auto parts store; maybe a couple bucks.

I had a 12 volt DC 500mA adapter laying around . You can get them from Radio Shack for about $20 but you can get them cheaper online ($5.34 at smarthome.com).

If you want to wire a switch in that would be extra. I cut the plug off my adapter and hardwired it with the butt connectors. It's plugged into a Utilitech digital timer I picked up at Lowe's for $10.27 so I don't have to worry about turning it on/off.

I suppose the wood top could get pricey but I just made it with some hardboard and 1 by stock I had laying around.

Back