• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Length of Brumation

icestorm

I know there is a debate over whether you have to brumate a corn snake in order to have a successful breeding or not. I do brumate my snakes. I don't want to get into that debate though. I am trying something new this year to see if it works. Let me know what you think, please!

I am going to brumate one bredding pair of a common morph, for a short period of time. I am thinking gradual cooling with a shortened period of actual sleep (brumate) of about 7 days and then a reverse of the process, meaning a gradual warming. From the time I start cooling and withholding light to the time I bring them back to temperature will be about 40 days or so. This doesn't include the 3 weeks of no feeding to make sure the gut is clean. So, here is my time line;

Three weeks= no food
Days 1-5= Reduced light
Days 6-10= Reduce temp to 70
Days 11-16= Complete Light Reduction
Days 17-23= Turn off heat and bring tanks to around 55-60 degrees
Days 24-29= Turn on small heater and bring temps back to 70.
Days 29-34= Bring back up light
Days 35-40= Bring Temps back to normal

Then feed and wait for first shed before I introduce both male and female together.

Will this work? Has anyone tried it? What do you think?

I'm actually bringing my snakes back up to temp now.

It's worth a try. I know we've had winters here in Florida where the wild snakes only had a few weeks of actual constant cold temps. I usually brumate, but didn't this year for several reasons, one being that I had trouble getting constant cold temps. And it would figure, this winter has been the coldest for the longest time in over a decade and would have been perfect for brumating... Oh well!

Back