• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lethargic snake???

As usual, I hold my snakes daily. Today when I held Var my yearling she just wasn't acting "right". Typically she's very mellow and will sit in my hand curled up but with her head atleast moving around checking out her surroundings, flicking her tongue.

Tonight however, she staid in my hand with her head tucked under her body. Thinking this was odd for her, I pulled her head/neck out from under her, and she still staid completely still. Also she barely flicked her tongue at all while she was out. After awhile of holding her, she usually becomes a bit restless, and doesn't become flighty, but wants to explore her surroundings. I thought maybe if I set her on the coffee table with some obstacles to navigate and explore she might liven up and move around. No go. She staid in the position I put her in and didn't move.

Maybe I have nothing to worry about, however I can't help but to worry about my scalebabies. Her temperatures are good, her humidity is good, she always has fresh water, ate 4 days ago with no problem, defecated I believe two days ago, and shed last on 11-30. Everything seems to be normal and fine. I'm just concerned. Has anyone else every experienced something similar that dissipated soon after with no problems? Or is there any reason that she may be acting lethargic like this that I'm overlooking or unaware of?

When is the last time she shed? Are the temps in her viv okay- the UTH is working? Is it cold in your house? Is she out and about in the evening, in her viv?

Thanks for the response Nanci. Yes, everything has been normal as far as temps, her shedding, behavior, etc. I felt her for lumps to make sure she wasn't impacted or something, felt nothing. But in the long run, I jumped the gun because when I held her later last night, and today she was back to her "normal" self. At least what is normal for her. I'm guessing she was just sleepy, or in a very calm mood, or something of that matter. It was just very strange because she was even letting us pet her head, which she usually dislikes and moves away from. All is well now though. I'm just a newer snake mommy so i get worried very easily, haha!

Heya - I'm experiencing very similar behavior with my yearling right now. Typically he'll eat one day, take 3-4 days to digest, then be out and about on the prowl exploring and ready to eat again. The past two weeks however, he's been very dormant - he responds to being held but otherwise doesn't want to do much of anything. I know that corns like most other snakes go through a brumation period during the colder months so I'm writing my guy's behavior off to that. Maybe this is also the case for you?

Heya - I'm experiencing very similar behavior with my yearling right now. Typically he'll eat one day, take 3-4 days to digest, then be out and about on the prowl exploring and ready to eat again. The past two weeks however, he's been very dormant - he responds to being held but otherwise doesn't want to do much of anything. I know that corns like most other snakes go through a brumation period during the colder months so I'm writing my guy's behavior off to that. Maybe this is also the case for you?

I was kinda thinking along those lines too. However, it's hard for me to tell if either of my snakes are trying to brumate because they're both so lazy! Typically I only see them out if they're defecating, getting a drink, or changing from one hide to another. I'm also conflicted. If she is trying to brumate, I'm told it's not necessary but that I could go with the flow and get her temps down, and not handle/feed her for a couple months. The idea of doing this though kind of freaks me out. Also, being in Indiana, I'm not sure how I'd get her temps down to 50 degrees by using a garage etc. without getting her waaaay too cold. My house is also centrally controlled to stay 70 degrees. Last winter I didn't notice any blatant signs of either one trying to brumate.

Back