• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lethargy/Floppy behavior

7legion77

I would like to give you all an update on the dramatic life of Wraith, my erratic, fatty, slow-growing snow corn.

After he went on a 5-month hunger strike, I got him to eat by offering a brained p/k rat pup, followed 2 weeks later by another p/k rat pup. Neither prey items created much of a bulge in his stomach and I was relieved that he was eating again.

2 weeks later, he gladly accepted a p/k adult mouse.

After digesting this mouse, I have seen a change in Wraith that is kind of alarming.

Basically, he has become difficult to handle and maneuver. Its as if the two rat pups he ate have instantly added so much to his body weight that he is having trouble moving.

Whereas before, in his overweight state, he was still able to pull himself up. Now he just flops and falls to floor, constantly. Its as if he has no motivation to climb the way he used to, or else his digestion/mood/motivation is not there to make him flex his body the way he has in the past.

Keep in mind, he was starving himself for quite a while through "mating season" and whatnot. But now, after eating two small rats and one adult mouse, he has become alarmingly lazy and floppy.

At this point I am holding off feedings until he sheds. Hopefully after a shed he will display the same physical acuity he has in the past.

My question is, have your snakes ever acted in a way that is incredibly floppy. Unable/unwilling to pull their weight, and just constantly falling to the floor. He's been overweight in the past and still able to pull himself up, but recently I can't tell if he's too comfortable or becoming weak.

Not that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to rehabbing animals, but have you tried him in the bath with a little bit of water in it. See if he moves better that way. Water is a bit easier to maneuver through and if he's having muscle issues it might help him by giving him a bit of exercise with out too much stress. Plus it'd be warm and help him digest at the same time if you do it a day or so after he eats? Just suggestion. I might be way off though.

Snakes like children don't always do what you want them to do. Good luck with him. We have an Anery named Wraith...I hope he does well.

We have an Anery named Wraith...I hope he does well.

Awesome! I thought I was the only one creepy enough to name my snake that but its a fitting name for a snow. As well as an anery.

I'm still worried about his health. He's never been so floppy and lackadaisical. Swimming does get him to move more. He's taking longer than usual to go blue. Really praying he turns out alright.

If he dies I'll get a blizzard to succeed him. Are they very hard to acquire?

I would name him Wraith II and I would never feed live and I would never handle him drunk and I would learn from all the horrible mistakes I made as an amateur snake owner.
I wish I had never been told that they make "easy pets".

I think it's more that they are easy pets when you have done research. Every animal comes with care but comparative to dogs I find that their care is relatively straightforward. That being said I hope that he recovers.

If you find that he does better in the water maybe take the time to do daily baths with him. Get muscle built up in him and hope that makes the difference.

I'm not sure how hard it's to find a blizzard but I truly hope it doesn't come to that. I will have positive thoughts for you. But if you do need to find another snake, there are a TON of amazing breeders on this site and I'm sure anyone of them them can help you out. Good luck!

Back