• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lids for a Viv?

maverick_8teen

I currently have various sizes of fish tanks but they all have range hoods (for fish) and im aware thats a very bad choice for snakes. It seems most places i look have lids that are made of metal bars close enouph together to keep anything in or out. My concern is that the snake may be able to push it off if it isn't succured, is this possible? would this be a bad choice? If so any suggestions?

Range hoods are a very bad choice. I made that mistake with my first snake, and he ended up crawling into the hood light. I had to completely take it apart to get him out.

Like the others said, you can get a mesh tank lid, and use a heavy object to keep it closed.

I personally use a type of plexi glass that my dad often works with. it's durable, and it's heavy. We drilled holes in it, and attached a handle. Works perfectly.

I use a hinged screen lid on my divided 55 gallon, as well as 2 clips on each end (found the clips at PetCo). I have found two kinds of hinged lids: One folds lengthwise in half, and the other (which I have) has two hinges and a quarter of the lid on each end folds towards the center of the tank. I use the latter so that if I want to get to one snake, I don't have to open the lid for the other as well.

With the hinged lids, however, I was afraid of the possible gaps between the sections and I wanted to avoid the escape of hatchlings....so I put tape over the "Escape" routes. I haven't had an escape yet *knock wood*.

Seriously Cheap

Honestly, just go to petco and get the secure clip mesh lids. They are like 6-10 bucks. If they are the normal vivs and not customed sized that is. But thats the cheap and easy way out. I've used them for my 10 gallon viv I had initially and now my 20 gallon. I like em' just fine. But I'm sure you already know about those lids, just putting my two cents in in case you didn't. Let us know what you decide and how it works.

Back