• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

lighting & heating

whiffin

Just Another Member
OKay, my new viv is going to be about 12"x13"x36".

For heating I'm gonna get a 11"x17" heat mat (as recommended) and stick it under the astroturf so my snake can't touch it.

I've been told by the pet shop I need a light too (for additional heating). They say a 40/60W bulb, or a "day bulb" would be good. Obviously I'll put a guard on it. They also say to make it controlled by a thermostat.

They ALSO say I need a UV strip light to simulate the sun and give the snake vitamins.

Now .... I'm definately gonna have the heat mat, and some kind of lighting. I can make a thermostat myself if required. I'm unsure on whether to use a 40/60W bulb, or a a flourescent tube in a plastic case (just like what you get in the bathroom).

All opinions welcomed :D

Cheers

You <i>do not</i> need UV light in your viv. Corns and other nocturnal snakes don't need this. You may also not require a light either, as long as the astro-turf reaches around 85 degrees. May I suggest making the viv just a little bit bigger depth-wise?

agreed

Neil is right.

Corns and most other snakes do not need and do not benefit from UVA/UVB. Of course, it's a nice bright clean white for viewing/personal lighting reasons. But other tubes are cheaper if thats your purpose.

:)

bmm

Cheers people - I'll buy the heat pad and see how warm it gets.

I can't make it deeper as this fits perfect in the unit and I've already cut the wood - BUT Suzy is only 4 months old and nowhere near full size so I''m thinking it should be OK.

When he's bigger I'll probably get another snake and a nicer/bigger viv anyway.

Cheers for your comments

IIRC you can put the heat mat inside the viv providing the snake can't touch it - even if it burrows.

In my case I'm having astrosturf on top of it ... I'll secure this to make sure the snake can't "dig" it up.

I can't put it outside as the heat wouldn;t pass through the wood very well

Anyone :confused:

hi Whiffin

but get a themostate for your heat mat and then it wont matter if your corn lies down on it,,so long as u set it up right,,

and you can make themostates ,reaper was on the look out for some ,perhaps u guy's shud talk

p.s that a heck of a nice shop u go/did too lol

Last edited:
Firstly - cheers for you help guys.

Reaper - I'll look at sticking it on the back, but I was gonna have a background drawn (then sealed) on the back ...

Pipatic - I'll look into a thermostat, and see how hot the viv gets.

As for the pet shop, I just think this particular guy was either trying to get a quick buck or inexperienced. They are actually pretty good, and apart from this visit have never said anything wrong. They have one main guy who knows his snakes, I guess he just wasn't in.

Cheers guys

hi whiffin
how hot the viv gets??? the reason for the themo so you can adjust the temp to suite,but also to stop it sticking on an burning the snake,
for cheap equipment try
www.chrismartinservices.co.uk his prices are pretty had to beat

Dunno yet - I haven't built it!

I've got the wood cut, got a few bits, got LOTS of ideas ... just a case of putting it all together.

I'll built it, then test temperatures and things

I'll check Chris Martin's site too

Cheers

Back