• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

lighting help??

i know this is kind of a double post but what lights do any of you recommend. i have a heat mat in the viv. but i want a light to be able to see my snake any ideas what sort of light i can get? and possibly a link to somewhere i could buy one. thankyou.

thanks i hope i can find something there my friend an ge tme a discount. but do you know of any other lighting methods just incase i cant find anything?

Not personally, my snakes are in a rack with heat cable! I'm not sure how hot low-energy bulbs get but you could ask the reptile shop you got your snake and viv from what they recommend.
(I'm presuming you use a heatmat for heat so want the 'coolest' light you can get?)

yeh. n ill go to the local shop. but i got my snake and viv from a breeder. so yeh ill go down there and maplins in my dinner break. thanks for the help

One thing to remember, is that if a light is in the viv, you'll want a bulb-guard to stop the snake injuring itself. And don't underestimate how hot a bulb gets. For our leo's viv, I use a 40watt heatlamp on a rheostat as her sole heat source and have to turn the bulb right down until it's nearly off, and still get a hotspot of 85-90.

ok thankyou. i didnt get chance to look at maplins but i looked in the pet shop they had some 15w day glow bulbs and the bloke in the shop sed they dont get that hot so im going to get one of them. u think i should get a guard for it though?

Right, you rock, Janine! Thanks for that, I'll soon have some red leds in my viv. Have you seen that before, or are you somewhat of genius?
I don't use lights for my snakes, only the red heatbulb for our leo. But I have a superb LED torch I use at work on nightshifts, and have had to prise it back from several Drs borrowing it to test for pupil reactions because it's so bright. So, nope, not quite a genius, just a little lateral thinking. That's why I said I'd have no idea if it would affect the temp in the OP's viv. :)

ok ive found a light that the guy in the pet store sed doesnt give off much heat at all. its a 15W day glo bulb. what do u think is that ok? also will it need a guard around the bulb so the snake cant get to it?

All lights used in snake vivs should have a guard really, as the snake can (and generally will) explore it and perhaps remain in contact long enough to burn itself. You won't really know how it affects your viv temperature until you try it and measure with a digital thermometer:shrugs:

Also, the day glo will only be good for lighting for the viv...during the day.
If you want to see your snake at night it *HAS* to be a red light as they can't see it.

Also, the day glo will only be good for lighting for the viv...during the day.
If you want to see your snake at night it *HAS* to be a red light as they can't see it.

i thought the day glo was red. so what red lights do u recommend its not for heat. although with time i might be able to put a day and night glo in would that work? but id prefer one bulb.

Back