• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lighting

JessicaBaker

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a new 3ft viv for my corn and I am currently setting it all up. It will be heated by a UTH that will be attached to one of those MatStat things.
I know that corn snakes don't need lighting but I want to use one for show and to make the set-up look nicer. My room is quite dark and I think a light will really make a difference.
I bought 2 small 40 watt lights to be fitted above the tank with one at each end (the tank has an area designed for lights and it is protected by a wire cage) but I don't know how much heat they will produce and I am worried the lights will be too hot.

Any advice would be really appreciated and it would be great if you could tell me what kind of lighting you have set up :)

Jess

You'll probably find that they do interfere with the heat in the viv although you'll have to run them for a while to see by how much, and whether you can tweak the setting on the UTH to compensate enough.

I don't use lights, but I've seen folks here saying that LED lights give out very little heat so that might be a way forward if the 40 watt bulbs prove a problem.

Bear in mind that Corn Snakes are naturally active at times of no or low light - dawn, dusk and overnight. If you have a lot of concentrated artificial lights on the viv for your own benefit, then you might find that the Corns hide away more than usual. Ironically, you're more likely to see them out and about with no lights and just the natural light provided through windows in the room (even if the room is dark).

I use a flourescent light in my tank, doesnt interfere with the heat at all. The light is warm tot he touch but puts off practically no heat when on. If you want to use light have you thought about using some sort of LED light? That would put off no heat but light well if done right. I plan on building a viv over the next few months and I think thats how im ganna light it is with LED lights.

Thanks for the advice, I think i'll go and by a small LED light and if I can't find any of those, i'll stick without. I don't want to stress the snake and it sounds like LEDs are the way forward.

Thanks again,
Jess

Back