• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lighting

Prophecy_grrl25

Dexter's Mom
I saw one post on this earlier but I just wanted to make sure. I just got a pretty little Amel corn and I love him dearly but I'm a little confused about heating and lighting his tank. He's in a 20L and I have a UTH but it won't keep the temps high enough to have a good gradient. I also have been using a heat lamp for the warm side. Is this wrong? If I shouldn't be using this then what else could I use for heat? I'm asking because I have read different things and I wanted to get another opinion. Thanks!

I use an UTH and a 60W heating bulb (not a red light though one of the blue bulbs) My tank warm side stays at about 87.

Where did you put the thermometer in your tank?

I'm not sure about incandescent bulbs. What is the temp of the viv right now on the warm side?

do your thermometers have probes? and if so are you putting the probe over the glass where the uth is? I just don't see why a uth isn't making the one side warm enough..if the uth is not regulated by a rheostat/thermostat, it should be up in the 100's..if you do have a rheostat/thermostat then just turn it up a bit..also if you don't have a thermometer with a probe you should get one for the warm side and put it over the section where the uth is..I'm sure it has to be more warmer then you think..

Okay I moved the probe so the side of the tank with the UTH is reading 79.6 and the other at 73. The bulb I was using was raising the other side to around 80 as well so that is my fault for not having the probe in the right place. Could this be why he has been hiding for the last couple of days? I have been trying to do everything right and leave him alone for a while so he can get used to everything but I worry about well everything. I'm sorry if I sound dumb I'm just trying to do what's best

Okay..keep an eye on the side with the uth..the probe should be right over the glass where the uth is attached to..if you have the uth being controlled by a thermostat or rheostat just turn it up a tiny bit..if not you should start seeing the temps rise quickly within the next hour or so..if the uth is not being controlled and it stays at that temp you may have a faulty uth..a good uth that is controlled with rheo/thermostat is pretty much all a corn needs to be warm and happy..they don't need overhead lights because they are nocturnal and won't really come out as long as the light is on..if you have a house that gets extremely cold at night (anything 65 and lower) then you could get a heat emitter...it will keep the cool side warm at night while the uth keeps the warm side at it's constant low 80's. (The warm side should be anywhere from 81-84 degrees)..good luck

I use a lamp dimmer to control the UTH until I can get a rheostat. I think I've got it under control now. He is out for his nightly stroll around the tank and I adjusted some things to better fit the thermometers and such. Thank you so much for your help!

Back