• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

lighting

chantellemarie

I just bought a new baby corn snake on sunday ive got everything except a light, ive got a heat mat and everythin else. So the question is how long will my baby snake live for without the light? because its not had one in there for 2+ half days im rearly worried and people are telling me diffrent stories. One person said the baby will die without a light issit true? And also as im geting the light 2morow any1 got any ideas what light to get please help

Your snake does not need a light of any kind. Snakes don't require UV light to metabolize vitamin D and calcium like lizards do.

Some people use lights as a source of heat but it is not a good way to go. An under tank heater is better. If you don't need the light for your own pleasure, don't get one. None of my snakes have ever had a light.

Agree with Wade. Corns don't need a light in their tanks, they're fine with whatever natural light is coming in through your windows. Don't waste your money buying one - there's no risk of death at all.

My 20 year old Corn hasn't had a light in years (neither have any of the others) and he's absolutely fine.

oh great. thats good then i thought my snake ould of needded one because i went 2 the pet shop and asked and they said it would die within one day without one, maybe they just wanted me to buy one from their pet shop lol. So if i do get one 2morow will it harm the snake with 2 sources of heat in the cage and is it best 2 get a lower wattage?

No your snake won't die without a light..... If you do get one (purely for your benefit) get a low wattage one or lcd bulb, you don't need an extra heat source. And don't get a UV unless you research first as some of them are too bright for snakes..

i went 2 the pet shop and asked and they said it would die within one day without one, maybe they just wanted me to buy one from their pet shop lol.
Sadly, that's a common issue with some shops. Hopefully yours didn't do it deliberately.

So if i do get one 2morow will it harm the snake with 2 sources of heat in the cage and is it best 2 get a lower wattage?

I wouldn't use the light at all. As long as your heater is controlled by a thermostat, then you won't have an overhating problem with the heater on its own. If you add the light, then even with a stat on the heater, you risk the tank getting far too hot.

You need to be aware that some lights are very hot. They will change the temp of your viv as you turn them on and off. If you use a light and an under tank heater, you will need to compensate for the heat of the light.

ok i dont think il get the light then, i only rearly wanted 2 get a light because my friend already drilled a hole in the tank for the wire 2 get through and now i wanted 2 do something for the hole. theres light case fitted in there but no lightbulb in there but thanx for ur comments im sure il be asking another question soon lol.

Right everytime i put my hand in the cage to get her/him (i dont know the sex yet) it goe loopy around the cage and raises its head up towards me and its hard to tell whether its excited or ready to bite. It could be because its younge or dont rearly know me yet but i dont know any ideas?

It's scared and it doesn't know you yet.

Leave it alone for a week and don't try to handle it. At the moment, it think you're trying to eat it!

It probably thinks your going to eat him.......The general consensus of opinion is to leave them alone for the first 10 days you get them, so they can settle in. Then bother them for a few minutes each day until they settle down.... We leave ours alone for the first 6 months or so, only bothering them to feed and clean.

Back