• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Little Green Boxes

cimckee

Too Ambitious
Odd question, but not knowing this is bugging me. What are those little green boxes, right next to "Rep. Power", what are they supposed to signify? Like I said, odd, but I just have to know. :shrugs:

HAHAHA what a funny convo. Thanks, that answered most of my questions, but I just have one more and while it might have answered it, I didn't pick up on it...that's an odd "sentence". Here goes, why do some people with higher Rep Points have fewer green boxes than other people with fewer Rep Points?

For example (don't mean to single you guys out) Slippery Ernie has 4 Rep Points and two green boxes, while Gintha has 9 Rep Points but only one green box. What's up with that?

Rep points (the number) is given in accordance with how many posts a person has made and how long they have been a member of the forum. The green box refers to their rep power--how many positive recommendations they have received from other members. I also think that depending on how many positive reps a member has received from other members, their rep points also increases. Rep points are the amount that a member can give or take away from another member for a particular post. You really will not lose points if you give positive reps to someone else, but they will receive those points. You can give positive or negative to a particular member's post by clicking the symbol below the member's rep points, next to the circle that shows if that person is on-line or not (It looks like a snowflake or scales or something). Click that symbol, then you can type in a message and that member will see your message under their user cp with the points you gave them. The green boxes are really what is most important (in my opinion) whether or not you want to take someone's advice--It's essentially their credibility. Hope this helps.

It does, thanks. And now you get all of one point added to your rep (oh, I know, you're excited) :)

cimckee said:
It does, thanks. And now you get all of one point added to your rep (oh, I know, you're excited) :)

:rofl:
For me it doesn't matter how many points I get, just seeing that someone cared to give me any at all gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling!

BTW
We can't give negative rep points anymore. A few people abused it, so that feature was taken away.

I think the negative rep feature was good in some ways for keeping people from being too obnoxious...but on the other hand when people were handing out bad rep points just to get a raise out of people it was very irritating.

With the current system we are forced to say something nice or say nothing at all just like our mummies taught us!

The green boxes are kind of a 'popularity' type thing while the number has more to do with the amount of posts and length of time you have been a member but it also does increase when others give you positive feedback.
I kind of have mixed feelings about the green boxes. I think a lot of times the people that have a ton of them are just more popular but not necessarily always more knowledgeable or experienced. I try to read the posts contents and not link credibility to the amount of 'boxes' people have!

Forgot to add, the other thing that bugs me a little is when you give someone a positive rep you can't give points again to the same person until you give some to others first. This is sort of a drag in a way, some people make a lot of good points and you can only give them one, then you have to get back to them later. With me it's usually a lot later, maybe I just need to be more generous or whatever but I kind of like to have a good reason - like the person posted something I think is a good point. Not just 'I need to give out a bunch of points so I can get back to person X who is the one I really think deserves one' Am I just not getting it?

Back