• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Live feeders

Amyshizzle

Hi, I was wondering if you HAVE to feed live feeders. I read that it is better to feed frozen/thawed mice than to feed live, but then I heard that it is better to feed live. I am just so confused. If you absolutely have to feed live I couldnt be able to do it.

Thanks!!

Most educated and responsible snake keepers feed frozen/thawed, unless the snake refuses to eat it.

All of mine eat frozen/thawed. My oldest is 13 years old and he's a bit on the plump side :)

Defrost feeding should be the preference. Live rodents can harm a snake the size of a Corn if the snake doesn't eat immediately, plus there are the welfare issues for the mouse.

I don't think there are advantages to feeding live - my 20 year old has eaten defrost all his life and is thriving.

I think you can partially negate some of the health benefits (which are debatable) by making sure that your corn gets frequent excercise.

If my amel had her way, I am pretty sure that she would sleep pretty much all day (a kindred spirit lol). I make sure that when I handle her (every day aside from 2-3 days after she has eaten) I make her work a little bit by having her climb from hand to hand and lowering one hand so she needs to climb "uphill." I don't think that this is as much excercise as she would get constricting (which she rarely does with her f/t fuzzies), but it less risky and she gets a short workout about 4~ days a week.

From what I understand, lack of excercise is mostly an issue with breeding age females due to egg binding - although it could of course contribute to a less than healthy snake in general.

I do not have experience with this though, this is only what I have read here and in books.

Back