• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

live pinkies

elsita

my baby corn was fed live pinkies in the shop where i got it, i tried feeding it a thawed frozen pinky but it refused and burrowed to the other end of the cage while i gave it space, i am going to feed it a live pinky tonight, what can i do to switch it from live to frozen?

For the first few attempts, just pop the thawed pinky near the hide where the snake is hiding (or on top of the substrate reasonably close to its head if burrowed) and then leave the room. Many snakes will not eat if they feel they are being watched, especially when babies. Leave the pinky over night and remove the following morning if not eaten. If that fails, there are myriad ways of encouraging a stubborn feeder outlined in this forum and elsewhere, and having rather little experience with stubborn feeders myself (and none at all with ones started on live food), I shall leave that to the experts we have here.

I don't like to feed hatchlings in the viv for this reason- they go off and forget they even had a mouse.

I'd feed the baby in a deli cup, and I'd start off with a boiled pink, slit. So you place a frozen pink in a cup (that you can pour boiling water into), boil water, pour it over the pink, remove the pink, cut several slits down its back, and serve piping hot. I'd feed in the evening, cover the deli cup with a towel, and not peek for two hours. If the snake hasn't fed, reheat and leave in the deli overnight.

I have a list with a TON of feeding tricks down in my personal forum. Boiled works really well.

my baby corn was fed live pinkies in the shop where i got it, i tried feeding it a thawed frozen pinky but it refused and burrowed to the other end of the cage while i gave it space, i am going to feed it a live pinky tonight, what can i do to switch it from live to frozen?

Was it warm?

Thawed means no longer frozen, but a "Living Mouse" has a body temperature just like any mammal does. The mouse should be warm (not hot) but certainly not cool either.

Huh, I've never bothered warming the f/t for my corn; he takes it happily at room temperature, as do all the corns a friend of mine keeps - I wasn't even aware warming them to body temperature was standard practice. Sorry, just a random thought lol

I have seen some snakes that would take a cold mouse and others would not.

And just because a snake will eat a cold mouse doesn't mean it's good for it.

<Link Below> explains how to properly feed frozen rodents to snakes. It's quite long and a good read, but you can skip down to about 2/3 of the way down the page and just read from there. It explains how to warm the mouse, why you should warm the mouse, etc.

http://www.lllreptile.com/articles/97-feeding-prekilled-prey-to-reptiles/

Back