• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Live Plants?????

alxx11uml

Hey guys, I was just wondering if it is possible to put live plants in my corn snake tank and if so which plants would be safe and I have read that the concern would be with the soil. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Personally, I was investigating the live plants option, but decided that it's a lot easier to go with plastic plants.

There were many reasons: snakes like to dig the dirt which damages the roots a bit, the plants need enough water, fertilizers and light, watering the plants adds moisture so it's a bit more difficult to control it, plants need a decent layer of dirt and a proper jar, real plants take some damage from climbing, plastic plants are easier to position and attach in any spot you like, and plastic plants will support the weight of the snake better than real ones.

I tried potted plants with mine a few years ago and had to give up.

For starters, plants need UV to stay alive and Corns don't. That meant I needed two sets of plants and I had to keep swapping them in and out of the viv regularly to keep them going.

Then the Corns just treated the plants as though they were standard climbing equipment. They were regularly knocked over (despite any number of attempts to anchor them upright) and the potting compost spread around. Resulted in some very muddy snakes and a couple of major clean-up jobs. The plants ended up looking squashed and ratty quite fast.

I swapped to plastic foliage after a couple of months!

For starters, plants need UV to stay alive and Corns don't. That meant I needed two sets of plants and I had to keep swapping them in and out of the viv regularly to keep them going.

Actually, plants don't need UV light. Most of them do need to sit on the window or under some other bright light to get enough light, though.

Humans do need UV light, though!

Ok so I was going to ask this question but not plants I just wanted to do grass in the little square recycled cup things and make them just tall enough to put the layer of substrate on the top of it and we spray our tanks down to keep up the humidity where it should be so the grass will get water as well and the snake can't make a giant mud mess. Does that sound like it would work? If it does what grass should I use or could I use?? Thanks

I forgot to add I only want to put like 4 of the cups in one corner of the tank. Just something more life like for them to crawl around on.

I've thought about letting mine crawl around in the front yard of my apt complex under my supervision but decided against it because I don't know what kind of chemicals they spray it with.

i like the grass idea, especially if u grow it urself, i may just steal that from you lol....would love to see more responses about that....if u get answers on that from anywhere else, please let me know what the verdict is. Thanks

Here's one of my setups with a live pothos plant. These plants are very hardy. Still, it's a bit of a hassle to have live plants in a terrarium. It might be easier with smaller snakes, but larger ones may end up damaging the plants.

tank.jpg

Plants do need light and keep in mind that albino, snow, etc., snakes are sensetive to bright light. Here's a couple of my Garter Snake setups. These have plants in pots, rather than buried in the dirt substrate.

cruz110.jpg

nice little setups there, i guess the biggest deal would be the damage to the live plants and having to replace them more frequently. love the live plants but it would definitely be easier with fake ones. thanks for your input

I'd like to restart this issue with the live grass, I've been thinking of doing it as well, and would really like to know if there are ay types of grass that would be most hardy, etc. I'd like her to be able to tickle her sides with grass like a real wild snake!

Back