• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Live to frozen conversion

Thulsa

Purging is at hand
Today marks a successful conversion for both of my snakes from live to thawed frozen pinkies.

I placed the frozen pinkies in the thumbhole of a non-powdered surgical glove (thumb was cut from the rest of the glove) and placed it in a deli container of hot water with the open end of the thumbhole sealed by the edge of the lid.

I let them sit for about 1/2 an hour. I then placed them into Thulsas and Vaders feeding containers first as always. Then I placed the snakes into the containers.

Thulsa, My Corn, Went to the warm thawed pinkie right away and devoured it.

Vader, My Black Mexican King, Looked at it but basically was ignoring it. I went and got a tweezer, opened the feeding container lid and grabbed the pinkie in the rear end with the tweezer. The instant i presented it to Vaders face head first he struck at it lightning quick and grabbed it, devouring it therafter.

Theres my conversion story so if anyone else is considering this I hope my saga helps you.:dancer:

Congrats on the successful conversion! It does go pretty smooth. My large Amel, Cosmo, was well into adulthood when he converted. He was a rescue and his previous owner fed him live. He had the battle scars to prove it. Well, a almost two years later, he hasn't a wound on him. Your setting your little ones up for long healthy and wound free existence.

BTW, you method for warming them up is a tad much. I just drop mine in warm tap water. I feel that the extra moisture from the water can't hurt. But hey, whatever works! :cheers:

Wayne

Congrats on the successful conversion! It does go pretty smooth. My large Amel, Cosmo, was well into adulthood when he converted. He was a rescue and his previous owner fed him live. He had the battle scars to prove it. Well, a almost two years later, he hasn't a wound on him. Your setting your little ones up for long healthy and wound free existence.

BTW, you method for warming them up is a tad much. I just drop mine in warm tap water. I feel that the extra moisture from the water can't hurt. But hey, whatever works! :cheers:

Wayne

I used that method to make sure they were as close to live as humanly possible for the first time. Once they get used to it I will just thaw them normally.

One thing that works for me is to place a few live pinks or fuzzies along with some of their bedding in a deli cup and place my f/t food item in with them to pass along the scent of the live mice. I have an adult that still wants his f/t adult mice scented with cage litter.

Back