• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Live 'toys' for a snake?

HungryGoldfish

I wonder if my cornsnake would like some company... could you guys tell me why I shouldn't toss in a few crickets? Or how about a large water bowl, and have 2 very small guppies swimming in it? Or another idea, buying those giant mealworms they sell at petsmart and just tossing in 1 or 2...

Is there any reason *not* to think that a snake would like to see something moving around in their tank? (I feed frozen mice, BTW).

I'm a beginner, and am just wondering about things to do.

HG

Noooooooo.... Why....... You are imparting human needs onto a reptile...
All it wants is the correct temp gradient... Food..... Water.... Security.... The end..

This is what he lookin at now....

Last Activity: 06-28-2009 11:47 AM
Current Activity: Viewing Forum Husbandry and Basic Care

Seriously? Crickets and giant mealworms can and do chew on the lizards they are feeder insects for if they don't get eaten, so rather than entertain your corn they could damage it. The guppies would probably get eaten and it seems a sad end for them.
You could try habitat enrichment by using plenty of aspen for your corn to burrow in, branches for it to climp, tubes for it to explore. I don't handle mine much but some do appear to actively enjoy being out for a while when they're not digesting or in shed.
And.............er that's it. Corns don't really need toys like mammal or bird pets, and do well with a safe viv and regular meals. Wriggling f/t mice on the end of tongs to do the zombie mouse dance amuses me because it gets a hunting sequence and good strike response, but it's for my entertainment, my corns don't care, as long as they're hungry they'll eat.

Definitely a bad bad idea as Diamondlil explained before I had the chance to, you will only be subjecting your snake to the possible and inevitable torture of being gnawed on by the little "toys" as you call them. Your snake is highly unlikely to spend it's time hunting meal worms and crickets and then they will be the ones hunting for interesting food sources and they are opportunists so a snake doing what it does in a comfortable viv (not much of anything) is a sitting duck for "munchy time". The Guppies may get eaten or they may flip themselves out of the water bowl and cook/dry out to death, not the best option for them and not an advised food source for your corn.

Stick to a viv with hides, climbing items (without sharp edges which can harm snake), deep aspen for burrowing, various items with holes of appropriate sizes for your snake and they may or may not choose to "play". In the wild they spend most of the day hiding and only come out mostly at dusk and dawn to thermo regulate or in the night to hunt.

I one snake here that loves to come out to "play" outside of the viv and it explores around the house. Another we have had seemed happiest to be fed, watered and left alone. Remember they are solitary creatures, not social animals like the typical mammalian pets.

Great advice!

If you really want to enrich the environment, determine how to provide the most variation possible in regards to choice of micro habitat - temps, humidity, open areas, or secure, tight resting areas, different textures of substrate, which also regulate humidity, places for climbing, subterranean hides, etc. All within "reasonable" parameters, of course.

Corns tend to be "sit and wait" type hunters, rather than actively chasing down prey. So they don't need to play as youngsters to hone their skills, as cats and dogs do. My observations lead me to believe that they have the capacity to feel the need to explore to find the best micro habitat that will provide the most comfortable living conditions, including ample food and water. Bu I don't feel they have the capacity, or need, to "play" in the way that many mammals do.

....... You are imparting human needs onto a reptile...

Never thought of that. It seemed "natural" for toys, but I didn't think of the snake's point of view.

Instead, I'll have different things for him to climb on, and change them around.

Back