• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

local man mates with chicken...

randomrhetoric

the snake drummer
... Wouldn't that be a story? Too bad it's not true... Sorry to get anyones hopes up. :nyah:

I am a first time snake owner and I am super excited by that fact. I got an amel corn on monday and as far as I can tell it is a female. I call her Rosie and I think she is only a couple of months old (she is about 12" long.) I have a 20gal tank with a couple of trinkets in there for her to play with. I know I shouldn't be posting my questions in this thread but I figure it's worth a shot...

#1. I am using an undertank heater that came w/ a kit that I got from PetCo and a heat lamp, both are on the same side of the tank. Should I be using both or only one? and is the under-heater ok with any modifications? (not sure the model...)

#2. Would it be possible to sex my snake if I were to post pics of her underside?

#3. Does my beard tickle women when I kiss them? :crazy01:

I would love for any advice that can be provided. I am going to post some pics of Rosie real soon!!

Welcome to the forum!

Check out this post with a care sheet attachment:

Corn Snake Care Sheet

Ditch the heat lamp. The UTH and a thermostat is all you'll need to properly maintain the temps in your tank.

You will find that many of your questions have been addressed by doing a search. You can find the Search option on the left side of this forum's toolbar.

Best wishes and post some pics of your snake and set up when you get a chance.

:bird:

... Wouldn't that be a story? Too bad it's not true... Sorry to get anyones hopes up. :nyah:

I am a first time snake owner and I am super excited by that fact. I got an amel corn on monday and as far as I can tell it is a female. I call her Rosie and I think she is only a couple of months old (she is about 12" long.) I have a 20gal tank with a couple of trinkets in there for her to play with. I know I shouldn't be posting my questions in this thread but I figure it's worth a shot...

#1. I am using an undertank heater that came w/ a kit that I got from PetCo and a heat lamp, both are on the same side of the tank. Should I be using both or only one? and is the under-heater ok with any modifications? (not sure the model...)

#2. Would it be possible to sex my snake if I were to post pics of her underside?

#3. Does my beard tickle women when I kiss them? :crazy01:

I would love for any advice that can be provided. I am going to post some pics of Rosie real soon!!

Well, I think I'll give my first crack at welcoming and giving advice so here goes: Hello, welcome, and congratulations!

#1 Generally, you should only need one or the other. Most people seem to prefer belly heat because it aids in digestion, so I would say go with the heating pad. You also want to make sure you have some kind of rheostat or thermostat attached to control the heating element so it doesn't get too hot and cause burns, cracked glass etc. The warm side of the tank should be around 85 degrees F, with the rest around 75 degrees F. So if the snake is in a cold room, the lamp could be used, with another thermostat/dimmer to keep the ambient/cool side temps where they need to be, but usually the average indoor room temperature works just fine.

#2 It could be possible. The most accurate way of sexing would be to have the snake probed of course. A few bucks at the vet and you'll never have to worry again. Seeing as so many people here have so much experience, someone could probably give a pretty accurate guess.

#3 Only slightly, only slightly.

Looking forward to pics of Rosie!

thanks!!!

And thanks for all the advice and making me feel welcome. I am obsessed with my snake and cannot stop reading about them. It is getting in the way of my work... but in a good way. I can already tell this is a good place to be.

Welcome random! I'm new too, so I feel the excitement haha I'm looking up info and browsing these boards when I'm at work too :roflmao:

ROFL.... I likes the new guy!

Hello and Welcome... you'll find all sorts of fun here and complete support of your obsession. <weg> we'll enjoy egging you on to add to it :D

Post pics of your snake, won't you?

-Tonya

Back