• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Logging

Hutch

Does anyone have any tools (spreadsheets etc) to track events involving their snakes (sheading, feeding, length,etc).
What do you do?

Cheers, :cheers:
Hutch.

There is a free tracking sheet at proexotics.com . I personally dont use it, I made my own more simpler form in a word processor, printed it out and handwrite each in. I found it to be the most simplest way for me to keep track. There is database ones that someone else could give you the url's to I cant think of them right now. I didnt care for the work of setting it up for just a few snakes... You may be able to search for it under like tracking or something. Hope that helps some.... Amanda

I keep simple Microsoft word doccuments with tables for feeding, shedding and a weigh in at the beginning of each month.

I have my snake population split into:

1, Adult males
2, Girls group 1 (larger breeding size females)
3, Girls group 2 (yearlings)

I'll add another doccument once I decide which of my hatchlings are keepers.

I also have a file for my hatchlings so I can tell their new owners precicely how much they've eaten for me, when they've shed, etc.

Hungry Herps?

I did a search on the same thing last week and there is a good thread on several of the software programs out there -- I think I did a key word search on 'software'. In the thead one program mentioned was Hungry Herps - I just got their free trial disk yesterday, so I haven' played with it much - but it covers all the basics for care & breeding. I'll probably end up using it.
If you find another one out there that looks good, let me know.
Thanks!
Deb

I use the Degei database product. The full registered version is $20, but the free trial version does allow most of the basics, from what I remember. Once you start to get the hang of it, it's pretty good. One thing I like best is you can pull up cage cards for all your animals which allows you to see quick and easy when they all last ate, shed, etc, as well as average interval between last 5 feeds. I usually like to make my own tools, but figured the cost was worth the time it saved me from making my own on this one. You can find it at degei.com

Thanks Duff. I have been looking for a good logging tool as well and this looks like its what I am looking for! THANKS FOR SHARING :cheers:

I use a spiral note book.
Each snake has there own book,
with feedings marked with a star and sheds highlighted.
Total cost $1

*edit
I weigh and measure after each shed, so I just have to look for the last shed to find their weight and length.

I use a notepad also, with several pages for each snake. Works just as well,a nd I can log while watching them eat.

ReavenFeathers said:
Thanks Duff. I have been looking for a good logging tool as well and this looks like its what I am looking for! THANKS FOR SHARING :cheers:
Happy to help... And if you think about it, when you register, be sure to tell them I sent ya so I can get a kick back :rolleyes: Just kidding, of course. And to those that can do it all with the ole pen and paper and not go insane trying to keep up... I bow down before ye :bowdown: (that's actual respect, not biting sarcasm, just for the record :D )

I agree with Duff :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I did the "Spiral and Pen" thing for years. It drove me nuts trying to keep up. So far this program is just the ticket :dancer:

Duff said:
I use the Degei database product. The full registered version is $20, but the free trial version does allow most of the basics, from what I remember. Once you start to get the hang of it, it's pretty good. One thing I like best is you can pull up cage cards for all your animals which allows you to see quick and easy when they all last ate, shed, etc, as well as average interval between last 5 feeds. I usually like to make my own tools, but figured the cost was worth the time it saved me from making my own on this one. You can find it at degei.com

Thanks Duff, and everyone who replied, this looks very good.
Right now I'm just jotting stuff down by hand, eating, shedding, length, etc. Are there any other (odd?) events/traits that I should be tracking? In a year I don't want to be saying I really wish I had written that down...

Thanks,
Hutch.

Necessary?

I have one corn as pet. Is there a good reason that someone with my circumstances would need to track the kind of info that you all have been discussing or is that more for breeders and people with breeding interests?

With just 1, pen and paper should be all you need to worry about, if any tracking at all. I used to not write stuff down, but as I got more snakes, it started getting harder to remember when each one ate, shed, etc. It's really up to you if you want to keep a history that you can look back on. I would suggest at least recording feedings and sheds, just so you can more easily notice any changes from the norm.

I use herp care software, now on beta version 2 http://www.thegeckocam.com/hcs/what/index.php I has many features including an export to excel or another spreadsheet program (must use excel format).

It log's everything from feeding to shedding, lenght, weight and has a built in calander (everytime you open it). It records all options off food from crickits throught to mice/rats and large chickens. It takes me 5 mins to update the feeding for my 5 snakes, thats how easy it is.

Jenlichtenfeld said:
I have one corn as pet. Is there a good reason that someone with my circumstances would need to track the kind of info that you all have been discussing or is that more for breeders and people with breeding interests?
I like to be able to look back and see the history of my pets. Weight, sizes, appetites, etc. I find that writing it down helps a lot, as my memory sucks when it comes to time frames and details. It also helps to identify patterns and if the are acting abnormal (for them).

Back