• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Long Time Listener, First Time Caller -- Columbia, SC

incandescent

New to Snakes
My name is Incandescent, and it's been one day since the last time I bought a corn snake.

Corn Snakes Anonymous: "Hi, Incandescent."

As seen in the CSA group scenario above, I'm Incandescent. My real name is Natalie, but I tend to respond faster to my usernames in print. I've been lurking on the edge of corn snake ownership for around three years. For the first year, I was living with my snakes-are-vermin parents, and for the final two of those, I was living in a dorm (so no pets). I've been in my apartment for eight months now, and I think I'm finally making up the deficit on pets. I'm currently mediating in the arguments between two nine-month-old Australian Shepherd puppies, being accused of abandonment by two incredibly needy ferrets, trick-training five rats, mostly-ignoring my boyfriend's two geckos and (as of yesterday) proudly setting up vivs for my new corns.

I decided I was going to get a corn snake in July or August, when Repticon came through Columbia. But I was still living with the in-laws (who despise snakes), and I knew I'd be getting puppies within the month when I moved out, so I decided to wait for a little while. "A little while" ended up being yesterday. Saw the corns again at Repticon on Saturday, fell head over heels for a lovely butter, and it was settled. When I got home from work (5pm), I immediately sat down in front of the computer and buried my face in a handful of websites. Of them, this has been vastly the most helpful. I don't learn very well from FAQ pages or Basic Care Sheets -- I love to hear experts arguing about tiny little details and learn what I need to know from that. I was still reading threads at 3am, when my body decided that sleep was not, after all, an optional activity. I've got around 14 hours of face-in-text studying under my belt, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

So far, my corn snakes are as follows:

Pierce: male Butter motley
Trinket: female (popped) Golddust motley
Kismet: female (probed) Amel

All of them are approximately 15 inches long and they seem to be settling in nicely. Pierce and Trinket had to share a viv last night (one of mine had a hole in the lid that I hadn't noticed), but they'll be separated as soon as I can get to a pet store (likely this evening) for a new lid. I figured they were the safest, since the person who sold them to me had each in a small enclosure with siblings during the show, but Kismet was displayed alone.

So far, all three seem to be settling in very well, but particularly Kismet -- she can't stop exploring her viv. Pierce and Trinket have done some brief exploration, but it was mostly while they were searching for which side of the tank was warmer. Once they found the side with the heat pad, they stretched out and basked, but Kismet was still trying to explore every single piece of aspen in hers (and the ceiling, and the walls, and the water dish..).

I was told that Trinket and Pierce were both around seven months old (from an August '09 hatch), and since Kismet is of comparable size, I'll assume she's of similar age -- I barely got to speak with the exhibitor who sold her. Are they on-track as far as size goes? I don't want to grow them particularly quickly (I'm fine with a smaller snake), but I also want to make sure they're healthy.

I'm trying to keep them relatively secluded for the first few days. My apartment is a madhouse with the dogs, the ferrets and the rats, so I'm hoping the corns will settle in better if they're kept slightly away from the insanity. I intend to keep them in the "animal room" (see also: huge closet), but since Pierce and Trinket are currently in the same viv, I didn't want them too close to the smell of the rats until I could get them in separate tanks.

The boyfriend's Nikon will probably be dusted off for some pictures by the end of the week. ;)

Congrats and welcome!! Quite the animal collection you've got! Two 9-month-old Aussies?? Go you!! I love Aussies in all their energy =)

They're such a handful, too. I'm a dog trainer by trade, and I still have trouble keeping them from destroying my house with their enthusiasm. Coda is a total nut -- he's everything they say about crazy Aussies and more. If you aren't petting him constantly, he's raising hell to make sure you know he's there. Haven, my girl, is a double merle, so she's stone deaf and moderately vision impaired, but she's an absolute dream -- cuddly and well-adjusted.

I see you have a mini =) I wanted to get minis originally, but the nearest breeder was 9-10 hours away, else I'd have to wait another six months until the next litter nearby. Then I found the advertisement for my pups, and... well. I had to have them. I knew I wanted to rescue a double merle at some point, and I just fell in love with Haven as soon as I saw her. So I got my double merle a bit earlier than I'd anticipated. Someday, I'd like to run a deaf/blind dog rescue, particularly focusing on double merles.

Welcome...I too am new here and also got 3 corns at the show in Columbia this weekend. I live in Spartanburg though.

Pictures while moving them to new enclosures!

Trinket: One, two, three
Kismet: Here
Pierce: Here

Pierce seemed to by agitated by the flash, so I only got a few shots of him. Kismet is such an active little thing! She doesn't seem panicky or nervous, but she wants to check everything out. But Trinket seemed totally okay with it all, and actually seemed to enjoy the handling. I got the most pictures of her because she was taking it so well.

Sorry the lighting is so bad. I'll get better shots once they're settled in and I can recruit the boyfriend's cameraman skills.

They're such a handful, too. I'm a dog trainer by trade, and I still have trouble keeping them from destroying my house with their enthusiasm. Coda is a total nut -- he's everything they say about crazy Aussies and more. If you aren't petting him constantly, he's raising hell to make sure you know he's there. Haven, my girl, is a double merle, so she's stone deaf and moderately vision impaired, but she's an absolute dream -- cuddly and well-adjusted.

I see you have a mini =) I wanted to get minis originally, but the nearest breeder was 9-10 hours away, else I'd have to wait another six months until the next litter nearby. Then I found the advertisement for my pups, and... well. I had to have them. I knew I wanted to rescue a double merle at some point, and I just fell in love with Haven as soon as I saw her. So I got my double merle a bit earlier than I'd anticipated. Someday, I'd like to run a deaf/blind dog rescue, particularly focusing on double merles.

Yea.... I had to drive from here in Ohio to Virginia to get mine... haha I didn't have room for a dog to get as big as standards get so really not much of a choice lol.. Plus I love Minis. Not to mention the breeder had hit some hard times so in order to get the pups into homes sooner she sold mine to me for $350 rather than the normal $600 =D
Weird coincidence? Mine's name is Dakota and we call her Kota, like your boy.
Go you for adopting a double merle. Irresponsible breeders breaking the biggest rule of Aussie breeding and contributing to the easiest genetic problem to avoid seriously get to me.

Back