• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Looking for a solid red corn snake. What would you recommend?

blacktip

I was looking through my little collection and realized I have 2 that are mostly grey, 3 that are mostly yellow, and one diffused that is a nice rusty brownish red. What I'd really like is something that is a nice solid bright red with little to no pattern. The closest I've seen to what I'm looking for was a red factor lava stripe but I wasn't in a position to pick it up when it was available.

What would you all recommend for a red corn snake? I love stripes, especially if they have vanishing patterns but a diffused would probably be okay too. I look forward to any ideas.

Definitely something with the diffused gene. Either a high quality bloodred or fire (if you're looking for a brighter color, more orangey). Adding motley or stripe to the mix will also help a diffused corn be more of a solid color. The most solid and brightest red corn snakes will generally come from pied lines. Getting one with even low expression pied is usually a safe bet that it will be a beautiful solid bright red as an adult.

Don at cornsnakes.net has some really red snakes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-17-21-05-23-480x853.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-17-21-05-23-480x853.png
    206 KB · Views: 54
R
fe400bf0de826c82ab1044d3b302e5c5.jpg

That's pretty much what I'm picturing. If I could get that without the Amel eyes it would be perfect.

Yes I'd agree it's a beautify colour ..... What's wrong with the red eyes though ??? I r eckon they're the icing on the top of cake , myself .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I'd agree it's a beautify colour ..... What's wrong with the red eyes though ??? I r eckon they're the icing on the top of cake , myself .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There's nothing particularly wrong with the red eyes. There's just something about the red pupils that I find myself not attracted to. It's weird and I can't give a logical explanation for it.

The best red snake I have seen, is an old school Bloodred that I had a few years ago. (First one pictured)
My next favorite red snake is my Cinaed, my Red Factor Tessera het Fire male, produced by John Finsterwald.
(Second one pictured).

Attachments

• haven.jpg
    haven.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 72660_268712_VeryLarge_8dAV5NSuo6QJ.jpg
    72660_268712_VeryLarge_8dAV5NSuo6QJ.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 32
I will hopefully have babies next summer from my cayenne fire that will look much like Cinaed. Same outcrossing John used, but I should also get some buf versions as well, and orange if I'm really lucky. Cayenne gene red factors are intensely red even in a het state, but they take a while to color up fully. I bet that combined with diffused hypo rather than fire, perhaps with vanishing stripe thrown in for good measure, would give you exactly what you're looking for.

I will hopefully have babies next summer from my cayenne fire that will look much like Cinaed. Same outcrossing John used, but I should also get some buf versions as well, and orange if I'm really lucky. Cayenne gene red factors are intensely red even in a het state, but they take a while to color up fully. I bet that combined with diffused hypo rather than fire, perhaps with vanishing stripe thrown in for good measure, would give you exactly what you're looking for.

Yeah, a red factory diffused hypo/lava stripe would probably fit the bill nicely. Anyone want to make me one of these? :D

Best I could do is hets in '18 and maybe 1x expression visuals in '19, but my magma girl might pass on her pissy personality, and we still don't know what kind of hypo the other one is. Her sloughed skins clearly show melanin expression, but hypos are thought to have clear sheds so I'm just at a loss. She'd be stunning in red factor though.

Back