• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Looking to get an awesome set up... ideas and examples??

ara35

Currently have a cornsnake who is about a year and a half old. He is in a 10 gallon aquarium now, and I am looking to upgrade when I move in a month. I want to completely deck it out, money is not an issue and I want the best set up I can get that would be safe for my cornsnake. Fake plants, front opening glass tank, maybe some sort of vivarium. I have no clue where to start. If someone has an awesome set up or knows where to get the supplies, that would be awesome. I get the basics. Right now it’s a hiding spot, water bowl, undertank heater, aspen and locking 10 gallon aquarium. Please help guide me in the right direction.

Some key questions:

1. Are fake plants good?
2. What manufacturer to go with for the front opening tanks? Size?
3. Do lights make a difference? I know they don’t bask under heating lamps like other reptiles, so are lights necessary?
4. Is there a better substrate than aspen?

Thanks guys!

1. Are fake plants good?
Definitely! I know you said money is not an issue, but the dollar store is definately the best place to go for fake plants. They usually have a good selection of different types of leaves, grasses, etc., so you can find something to fill in any area or theme. Obviously, the ones at the pet store are good too, especially the vines with suction cups. If you go to a craft store they might have a little better selection but they are like 10x the cost and a lot of times are scented (not good for snakes!).

2. What manufacturer to go with for the front opening tanks? Size?
You could check out the Vision cages, I always thought those looked nice. Glasscages.com has a good selection of front gliding glass and acrylic tanks also. An adult cornsnake will be fine in a 20g tank, but if you can get a bigger size, like a 40g, that's great! :)

3. Do lights make a difference? I know they don’t bask under heating lamps like other reptiles, so are lights necessary?
Lights are not necessary, and I've heard that for lighter colored snakes (with red eyes), the lights can actually be irritating. I don't see anything wrong if you had a display light to turn on just when you wanted to show your friends or see inside better. I just wouldn't leave it on all the time!

4. Is there a better substrate than aspen?
I think Aspen is probably the best. I know some people use repti-carpet and I've seen some set-ups that it looks great in! I don't have experience with any other substrates.

Check out the cages at Animal Plastics. They have a _huge_ variety of sizes and cage fronts! I don't know if AP can do it, but when I bought custom from a different company, the cage builder from HELL, he was able to put clear sides on for more light.

i was looking for something more like the exo-terra i guess. i dont know where to buy them though. i was thinking the 36x18x18 would be awesome.. just dont know the price or where to find it. any suggestions??

Back