• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Loose Skin and Feeding

Perseus7589

Hey All,

In October, my baby Miami had a regurge shortly before he shed, and I attributed it to him going into blue. First time keeper, and I failed to notice he was about to shed. Since then, hes had 6 successful meals, with the last two being full but small pinkies (with slits down their body). He's had consistent poos for the last two meals as well... He does have some loose skin though, near the back end of his body (or near the hips). The folds run along his body, not across it, and based on what I read, I think hes underweight. I seen him drinking and he always has fresh water.

On Saturday, it was his 5th day since his last pinkie so I put him in the feed bin as normal. He's always had a very health feeding response, and took pinkies right away without fail. This time though, he would strike at the pinkie, but not take it. I left him in his feeding bin with it, and ignored him. I checked on him about 20 min later, and it seemed like he was trying his best to stay away from the pinkie and escape the tub (which is unusual for him). I put him back in his viv, and waited until last night (day 7 since his last feed). I tried the same process with the same results. So i put him back again in his tank. About an hour later, I put just a pinkie head in his viv with him on a plastic tray. I checked back in the morning (about 6 hours later) and the head was still there.

How concerned should I be about the loose skin? The folds run along his body. Also, should I skip this feed and try again in 5 days or so? or should I just continue to try and feed him nightly using techniques discussed in this forum?

can you post any pics try soaking him in some water to make sure the folds aren't a hydration issue. I have had many snakes react the way you describe with there food like there afraid of it. Gently touch it to his neck an inch or 2 behind his head this has worked many times for me. if that fails wait a couple days. take him for a drive in the car I usually drive maybe an hour total return home and give him a couple min to settle down and try and feed him. quite often the drive puts them in the mood to eat. Also check your tank temps and look him over for signs of shed. I would get a feeding kit just to have on hand just to be safe And most importantly I would set a vet visit up to have him checked out.

He ate last night (after a nice soak)!! Thanks epicdoom. I tried touching the pinkie behind his head, and he took it quickly afterwards.

I also attempted to take pictures of the loose skin, but they weren't visible in any of the pics and I couldn't get them to show up. We have a vet appointment set-up for the 10th. He'll have time to digest by then. Thanks again for the support!

Your very welcome. Now you have another trick in your arsenal. I will try anything no matter how strange it sounds to me. As long as they eat I'd stand on my head on a crowded corner naked, if that's what it took. All I can say is all those poor people having to endure that site.

I'm happy to hear he ate after his soak! I bought a little hatchling I felt sorry for who had loose, saggy skin. I'm not sure if it was dehydration or her being underweight, when I posted here about her the general prognosis from the experienced folks here was not to get my hopes up about her making it. But she made it and of my four corns is the "pistol" of the bunch, lol, she is one feisty little creature now. I never soaked her, but started her on size appropriate meals every 5 days.

Here's what she looked like when I got her, they're not the clearest pics but you can see everywhere that is supporting her body her skin sags...

002.jpg

012.jpg

Here's a pic of her taken a few weeks ago

Ciqala-2.jpg

One thing I've learned about corns is they truly are so individual in personality and preferences. I only got my first one about a year ago and we're up to four now. Our amel, Hermes, sometimes won't touch his food if we don't make it do "the zombie dance". Nessie, our snow, really prefers her privacy when eating. This one I shared the pics of, Ciqala, you don't mess with on feeding day lol. And our youngest a classic corn, Ivy, MUST have them warm... any bit of cooling that goes on and she won't touch it. I defrost under a heat lamp and if I pull her's out and feed another before her she won't touch it, but straight out from the lamp she gobbles them up. As a matter of fact, just the other day when I fed Hermes I left him with his fuzzy for an hour and he didn't touch it. I got all worried, then remembered he sometimes likes to "hunt it" so I made it "dance" and wahlaa he struck, coiled it and down the hatch it went.

she sure looks healthy when compared to her before pics Good work getting her up to par. I have 27 corn snakes only a hand full eat by placing the mouse in there tub all others have some special need I calls these my special needs children. She is a beautiful little snow you have

Thank you both for the support! Today is day 5 and corndog looks so much healthier since the last feed. His skin is almost completely tight again, and he's been really active. I'm going to feed him another meal (on the small side) tonight, and we'll be one step closer to a perfectly healthy baby again.

Awesome let us know how it goes keeping the fingers crossed for your little one and your piece of mind

Back