• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Losing Pigment?

rusticreptiles

My Normal Striped Corn poss het butter born in August looks to be losing her pigment and the patches that are not normal colored are a light grey.

Before her last shed she had a few gray flecks near her tail. After this last shed she has flecks all over. Mostly on the lower two thirds of her body, but she has a patch on her head behind her eye now and some small spots are up further on her body.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this and what I can expect her to mature into? Is this genetic or something that just crops up from time to time? Still learning the basics of genetics and corn morphs and I haven't seen this yet. Thanks so much for looking.
Nicole

Attachments

• DSC02521.JPG
    DSC02521.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC02519.JPG
    DSC02519.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC02526.JPG
    DSC02526.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC02525.JPG
    DSC02525.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 126
Could she possibly be a Terrazo (SP?) instead of striped? I think I remember reading something about how those have a striped pattern that kinda ends blotchy just like that. I'm new to this whole thing so I could be completely off base. Hopefully others will chime in.

Hmm. I've been looking at pics of Terrazo's and it seems they are born with more of the flecking. She pretty much changed over night at 7 months of age. I will have to do more searching or hopefully somone with more knowledge will pop on and clarify what is going on. I will have to go read more on the Terrazos until then!

There is no blistering of the skin, correct? The first thing that came to mind when you said that the pigmentless spots were increasing in number was the old "calico corn" which is believed to actually a medical condition.

It might also be similar to what PascoPaul has with his "Confetti corn". I know he has bred his to determine if it is genetic and reproducible but since all you ever see for sale are corns from that line that don't show the phenotype, I would say it's not. You can try contacting him to see if the look progressed like yours or if it was born that way.

There is no blistering of the skin, correct? The first thing that came to mind when you said that the pigmentless spots were increasing in number was the old "calico corn" which is believed to actually a medical condition.

It might also be similar to what PascoPaul has with his "Confetti corn". I know he has bred his to determine if it is genetic and reproducible but since all you ever see for sale are corns from that line that don't show the phenotype, I would say it's not. You can try contacting him to see if the look progressed like yours or if it was born that way.

Thanks. I will look into the Pasco Paul lines and see what he has to say. There is no blistering and everything else with her seems normal. Was really hoping someone would pop on and say "Oh that is such and such a thing" and it would be a definate clear and cut answer. :(
I will let you all know if I find anything more about what is going on with her.

The first thing I thought was Piebald (calico). But, you would see blistering with that.

It could be a random color abnormality, a paradox corn that is becoming more apparent as it gets older.

Because it isn't lining up with a particular morph, there is no way to tell what your snake will end up looking like.
It is one of a kind. (At least I haven't heard of/seen any patchy stripes.)
I am jealous, actually, it looks like someone was playing in photoshop and randomly splotched it with black and white coloration!!

It does end up kind of looking like a Terrazzo. Very pretty.

More pics, please.

Back in the day Tim Rainwater had at least one Calico Corn. It hatched out looking normal, but then gained white patches as it grew. The line died out before it ever became firmly established. It sure look like that's what you have going on with your snake. Very cool!

Hi all,

I have been asking around and so far it seems to be the general concensus that it is a paradox.
I have her brother so I may try pairing them up when they are ready.
Her parents were normals het for butter. Nothing else in the lines ever showed up abnormal. The breeder was thinking maybe it was environmental. Anyone know exactly what in the environment that could cause this? I would think if it were something here that another snake would be effected as well. I have over 30...and all are fine pigmentally speaking. :) Never (knock on wood), had mites or any other issues that I can think of that would cause this. I'll go see if I have more pics to post of her. I know I took quite a few.

More pics

First two are some of the markings
Third is when I got her as a hatchling
Fourth was taken a couple months ago

Attachments

• DSC02516.JPG
    DSC02516.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02511.JPG
    DSC02511.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Capricaweb.JPG
    Capricaweb.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Caprica-Stripe (7).JPG
    Caprica-Stripe (7).JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 25
Okay, so most breeders are feeling it's like a paradox, but what to call it exactly is unknown. And unless it proves heritable then it just makes her an unusual snake.
As long as I know it's not something awful that is going to harm her I'm happy!
I'll have to make an album for her in the photo section and post her progress if any more changes occur.

What a pretty snake.
I can't think that anything environmental would cause that. Most likely it is a genetic abnormality- some of the pigment producing cells are no longer producing pigment for some reason.

What a pretty snake.
I can't think that anything environmental would cause that. Most likely it is a genetic abnormality- some of the pigment producing cells are no longer producing pigment for some reason.

Thanks! I think she is pretty too. I was loving her color anyways, and now this is just bizarre but I LOVE spots/pintos/dalmations/dapples/etc. so this was a bonus.

Back