• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lump on the tail

Galadriel

My little Chubbs has got a big lump on his tail.. His previous owner didn't tell me too much about it, other than that he had had the lump for a long time, and that it didn't seem to bother him..
Anyone got a clue what this could be?

Thanx :D

Attachments

• ChubbsLump.jpg
    ChubbsLump.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 89
Please dont tell me you bought that snake having seen it ahead of time?

Get that poor thing to a vet.

To my untrained, non-veterinary eye, I would say it's either fat saddles (that come up on over fed adult snakes) or lypoma (fatty tumor) Is there any broken skin or weeping from the wound? Is the snake bothered when you touch it? As the snake looks pretty well grown, IF AND ONLY IF it's fatty buildup from being overfed, it might be an idea to cut his food to a smaller than regular mouse once a fortnight until he loses some weight. That doesn't actually look like a case of serious fat buildup and the thing that worries me is the fact that it's so localised which to me might suggest an infection. Up your temps on the warm side if that's the case. A snake like that should not be sold EVER to an inexperienced owner, if you paid anything for the snake, then it was too much.

There definitely appears to be a direct wound...or blister in the center of the "lump"

Definitely find a herp vet in your area and get that snake in immediately...
Go to www.arav.com to help find a herp vet in your area...click on the members tab...this is a worldwide organization...hopefully there is a vet in your immediate area.

Chubbs is 5 years old, but I've only owned him for about a week.
The lump doesn't seem to bother him, and he is nice to handle as well.
There is no weeping or broken skin..
When I talked to the previous owner, it seemed that he had had this lump for well over a year,..! :angry01:
I'd take him to a vet asap if I could, but there is not really any vets around here that knows anything about snakes.. I live in Oslo, Norway, and reptiles are still banned over here.. I'm currently searching the net to see if I can find a vet though, and hopefully, I'll find one soon..

I am getting really worried about this.. I'll just have to look at the bright side - at least he doesn't seem to be in pain.. :uhoh:

If you have any other reptiles/pets at all, quarrantine and strict sanitary procedures are DEFINITELY in order. (Of course, with a new critter, you ought to be doing that anyway, but doubly so in this case.)

-Kat

maybe this is stupid, cause I'm not knowledgeable at all on gravid snakes, but is it possible this snake is actually a female with an impacted egg? It is exactly the shape of an egg turned sideways.

It is possible to collaborate with a vet who is willing to consult with a knowledgable reptile vet from any region or country. Search for possible vets that are willing to consult and bring it to a local vet that you trust. For one, I recommend the Wilshire Animal Hospital in Santa Monica, California. They have a web site. Mention that a former North Bay Animal Emergency tech and good friend of Matt Shapiro recommended them.

To play devil's advocate, some cancers can become pretty funky looking also. Even a dog/cat/livestock vet can do a biopsy and generally ID the tissue for you.

Hi Galadriel,
I'm in Malmö, so I'm happy to welcome another Scandinavian snake keeper!
Could you consider going for a drive to Göteborg or someplace in Sweden closer that will have a vet hospital that deals with reptiles. Also, I'm not sure that keeping snakes is illegal, I thought selling/buying snakes was illegal, so if you were given the snake I think you're OK...please check the rules before quoting me and getting in trouble! You can't leave the snake with that lump, the previous owner should pay for at least some of the vet costs...that lump is not just un 'ugly', you wouldn't leave you dog with a lump like that on the base of it's tail...Good luck finding a vet.
Adèle

I have accually considered going to Sweden to have him checked out.. The only problem though, is getting across to Sweden and back.. without having my car checked.. If they find Chubbs, I am afraid they will take him away from me, and possibly have him killed..
I have, however found a vet with a degree in herpetology (who just happens to live in Oslo), so I'm going to give her a call today.
Hopefully, I can go see her without worrying about Chubbs being taken away, as she is part of the group who works very hard to have reptiles legalized in Norway..

The discoloring on the top makes me worry. I must admit that I was thinking of a stuck egg as well. Could it be that the previous owner just wnated to get rid of the little one because he was stuck for a vet like you are now???
A stuck egg however would not stay in there for over a year. The snake would be most likely dead by now.
If you find a vet please let us know what the diagnosis was.

Acradon

The link Cindy provided is for Dr. Alan Slack...he owns the New England Animal Hospital in Maine.

He is a VERY knowledgable guy...I have spoken with him on many occasions (Alex's forums are like my home away from home =) )....if he doesn't get back to you right away...he has had some computer problems this winter...I mean...it IS winter...IN MAINE...what can you say?

Definitely knows his stuff when it comes to exotics, reptiles especially...and he is a fellow keeper...so he has hands on experience.

Back