• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Make her be nice!

NinaCaliente

So, my little 08 bloodred is a little feisty. I will admit that I have not handled her a whole lot in the couple months since I got her. But everytime I DO take her out, she strikes at me and makes a break for it, rattles her tail nonstop, and spends most of the time I am holding her thrashing around with everything she's got.

What is the best route to getting her tamed down? I have been more focused on getting a solid feeding routine established, but we've got that now and she's had a couple of perfect sheds. Now I think it's time for her to learn manners! ;) Should I just increase the frequency of handling? Try keeping her out for longer periods? WWYD?

Hi, Welcome to BR's :) My Hades is not as feisty as my Passion. Yet, Hades is a yearling too and was handled before I got him. Passion was a little fireball and I think she just to see how I reacted when she did her little pip strike :laugh: I think it's cute though ;) They think they are so big :laugh:

But I would say handle more often maybe for 10 mins each day for a week and gradually increase it. After a week you can also just lay on the bed or something with a little log or something it like and let it climb around and look at you. Carry around with it wrapped around your hand and wrist :) or just veg while watching T.v
careful though they sneak away quickly ;)
They don't like their tails touched.

She's still real young and you did the right by letting her settle in, eat and shed. The tail rattle is a warning, but for corns it doesn't really work lol.. Remember how big we are to them ;) Now is the time to start to handle and it shouldn't take long :)

Hope this helps some :)

~Good Luck!~

I've got a fiesty bloodred, Ruby. She's the best to handle if I take her out when she is already out and about. When I take her out for feeding, if I am lucky, I pick up her hide and there she is and I scoop her out before she can react. She will then hang on to me with a death grip, and strike repeatedly. If I can't find her right away, and have to hunt her down, then she is REALLY angry, and she will whip around so that I am afraid she will injure herself. I hadn't handled her at all except for feeding and photography, but now that she is bigger, I will take her out if I find her already out and cruising- that is the best chance of her having a decent attitude. I don't keep her out for a very long time, maybe ten or 15 minutes, because I think it's still stressful for her.

Back