• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

making a viv out of the unexpected

So, the other day I was at a local consignment shop, browsing with a friend and noticed she had tall, but still fairly wide acrylic jewelry display case that was empty. after staring at it and pondering my inquiry, i realized, this "display case" would make a perfect viv! i asked the lady if it was for sale and i was flabberghasted when she said $20!!! i said heck yeah!

laid on its side its 18 x 18 x 50". it has thin holes= (air holes) where the spinner for the jewelry display was taken out of. which was a bit of a conundrum, considering the case was built around this circle spinner, then had a display stand attached to it. well when all else fails...? break it! we broke the circular display spinner, and took the display rack out, then the broken shards of acrylic out.

the door has 2 latching closures. and after a good cleaning. i set the case on its side, with the door opening latches on top, hinges on bottom. there was already a lip on both sides of the door to keep substrate in the enclosure. i also used the air slits where the display spinner was to run my thermostat and thermometer/hygrometer wiring into the enclosure.

all in all this at one time jewelry case made a perfect and simple enclosure that i had to do very very little to to make it snake friendly for my adult male corn, lars. and though it didnt fit perfectly into my dresser turned viv stand like id anticipated, it fit perfectlyyyy on top of the dresser. and i was able to move up my yearling female var into his lars' tank which is a 40 gal breeder. total score right?! below is a pic of the viv.
1) yes, i know my tank looks barren, im still adding things here and there as i aquire them. and need to get some large driftwood and plants for both my tanks soon, which is on my list of things im in the midst of doing as money allows.
2) this picture was taken before i put the large mirror back up behind the viv to block the cold/heat from effecting his temps. just thought id like to share my $20 score. maybe it will help others see furniture and other items as potential vivs or viv stands. also remember this next time you see a store going out of business, etc where you can attain such an item for cheap yourself. i will probably keep this setup until i can build a 2 part viv/stand perhaps next summer (or maybe even more parts if my addiction grows =D). hope you guys enjoyed my nifty little story!

my jewelry case turned viv>>> you can also see half of the top of the 40 gal breeders screened lid below it, the other half is inside of the hollowed out dresser =] enjoy!

299025_279405382098214_100000862621210_824749_247614765_n.jpg

thanks! it has a lot of area up top thats unused, so i hope to make use of it somehow eventually...need some driftwood, and vines and such

Back