• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Making or Buying a Thermostat

Jordan32

Hi I was wondering what you guys think would be safer,cheaper,better, etc. a home made thermostat or buy one like the 1000 watt kind?

Making one (or a rheostat, can't remember which) is certainly MUCH cheaper than buying one, but personally I would feel happier buying one. You know what you're getting with a shop one (mostly.)

So it's really down to a choice between money, and whether you trust your own constructions ;)

Jordan32 said:
Hi I was wondering what you guys think would be safer,cheaper,better, etc. a home made thermostat or buy one like the 1000 watt kind?
I think you mean rheostat. I've made and use 4 of them now. They cost about $8.00 to make, but I've recently seen posts of people who purchased a plug in light dimmer switch for only a few dollars more at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I have made 4 rhenostats and they work great and I'll make more as I need them. I'm home all day so needing to adjust temps occationally is no big deal to me.

WEll, that's a rheostat not a thermostat, and I also doubt it could handle 1000 watts as shown in that thread.

I haven't made one of those, I just bought a lamp dimmer premade at Walmart for like $8 - $9/ At the lowest setting its just a couple degrees above room temp. That would probably depend more on your heat source though.

A rheostat is just basically a lamp dimmer, it lowers the voltage going to the heat pad or lamp and that lowers the heat output. If your room gets hotter, the temps in the tank will also get hotter with a rheostat and so it has to be checked and adjusted often.

A thermostat basically checks the temp for you. it turns on the heat until it reaches a set temperature, in my case 85 and then it shuts off the heat. as the temp drops below 85, usually by 3-5 degrees, the thermostat kicks the heat back on until it hits the max point again. With a thermostat you can just set the thing and not worry about it much. I still check the temps occasionally, but you don't have to monitor it like you would a rheostat.

The more expensive thermostats are what they call "proportional" and instead of cycling the heat on and off, it will gradually raise or lower the power to the heat source to get a finely controlled exact temperature. This type of thermostat is fairly expensive though, like the helix for $129. For corn snakes I've found the cheaper on/off type works quite well.

Frankly, unless your room temps fluctuate wildly, a dimmer is all you need. I have the plug in lamp dimmers from Wal-mart on all my corn tanks, and for most of the year, I seldom need to adjust them. It is ok to let your tank temps fluctuate by a few degrees. You just want to avoid extremes.

Now, in the winter time, when it can be 20 one day and 80 the next, I do have to keep a closer eye on my temps. But as short as winter is here, it is not worth it to me to spend the money on a thermostat. Other people feel differently, but you have to do what works best in your situation.

Back