• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

male interest

luciano

Is it imminent for a female to be ovulating or about to, for a male to be interested in mating with her. Or can a male be interested on any female not mattering her fisiological state? (like totally not ovulating)
thanx

I just realized it is the start of the mating and breeding season in the Southern Hemisphere (wish I was there, I hate winter), sorry Luciano, that didn't answer your question, I am sure someone here will be able to help.

It depends on how aggressive of a breeder the male is. I had one amel male that would try to mate with anything, including males! Female cornsnakes do have the ability to hold sperm after a breeding until they do ovulate. Its really helpful sometimes, but it does screw up on the estimated egg laying date.

thanks for your reply, i really needed to know if that was true, because the male i have is reeeaaally eager on humping the female even though she rejects him (while she should really be ovulating and accepting him).
thenks :)

Definitely the female will hold the sperm until ready. I think the Corn Snake Manual says they can hold it for weeks, and perhaps up to a month, but don't quote me on that... I seem to have misplaced the book.

I had a couple of females who consistently rejected their male during his first mating season. I think he'd reached sexual maturity before they did, because the following year they mated successfully and both females double-clutched.

Could be you have another year to go before the female understands what he wants!

If a female is ready, weather ovulating or not then yeah they will mate. As to females holding the sperm before ovulation, it is between 3-4 weeks realisticly, as the chances of a sucssesful clutch after this period is reduced as the sperm start to die off.

albino corn snake site

Jynx said:
It depends on how aggressive of a breeder the male is. I had one amel male that would try to mate with anything, including males! Female cornsnakes do have the ability to hold sperm after a breeding until they do ovulate. Its really helpful sometimes, but it does screw up on the estimated egg laying date.

lol i just thought of somthing if human sperms have little tails and no legs... do snake spern have arms and legs lol :rofl:

also do um the femails lay egs even if there isnt a male?

yeah females still lay egg's just as human females still has a period. They produce every year but are not fertalised and the best thing to do is throw them.

Pardon?

The females do ovulate, but, they do not automatically produce unfertilized eggs every year - there are, of course, the exceptions to this - however, as a general rule, if you provide a 'rest' year for your female she should not produce a clutch of infertile eggs..........but, rather, body up for the following year.

penguin...

honey, you are a strange bird! oh...and uh...it's sperm, not spern. lol. snake sperm have arms and legs as you suspected and they walk there way through the cloaca and sing the beatles greatest hits on their way to their final destination.

Back