• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

male or female

REPTILEGUYJC

Hi guys. I will be getting my new corn next weekend. I was wondering, since I am only planning on keeping one as a pet, is there any advantage to getting a male or a female? Is one more tame and docile than the other? Any advice would help. Thanks

I find no difference in genders and attitudes. I used to think so, but the more I own, the more numbers have evened out. It's a rare, rare corn snake that won't make a good pet with some handling.

Males can go on a hunger strike during the spring mating season. It's perfectly normal, but can take a couple of years to get used to their individual routine. As long as you know it's probably going to happen to a usually-reliable eater for a few weeks from around the age of 3 years, you'll be fine.

I've not really found any difference between the genders as far as handleability and docility are concerned. Most make very good and calm pets once they've settled down and grown up a little. Very young Corns are almost always skittish and wary of being picked up. This behaviour mellows as they grow, get more confident and start to understand that you're not out to eat them! Buying a slightly older one - say around 18 months old - will skip you past the worst of this stage, but they'll still need to get used to you over a few weeks/months.

Back