• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Male or Female??

WAS1

I have 3 corns left from my last years batch.
2 of them have 59 pairs of scales from the vent to the tip of the tail.
The other 66. Would it be safe to say the 1st 2 are females while the latter is a Male?
(none have been probed - don`t fancy the idea!)

The tail scale counting is fairly unreliable. Your best bet would really be to have them probed (as unpleasant as the idea may be). That is the only surefire way to tell, other wise you're just guessing. However, if their sex is not *that* important to you then maybe the scale counting is accurate enough for your purposes.:)

If you posted clear, crisp photos of their undersides from way above the vent to tail tip, we could play the tail-shape/length game. If they're '04s, they may be old enough to make a reasonable guess. Of course, as mentioned, only probing will tell you for sure.

In addition to the tail count, you need to count the scales from the chin to the vent. From my understanding, equal to or less than 154 is a male, and greater than 154 is a female. Of course the closer to 154 either direction the less 'accurate'. FYI, when I started this out 4 years ago, I counted scales on all the freshly shed snakes I could, and from 32 snakes that I can recall counting, only 1 counted out as a male but was in fact a female . . .

D80

Seems like its a lottery, think I`ll wait till spring, try and breed the 1 I think is a Male to my jungle Female. If he`s interested i`ll know for sure if not he`s either female or gay.
Thanks guys..

I would recommend trying to find a local breeder or herp expert who could show you how to probe and pop. It's wicked easy to do, but is easier done than said. Once you see it and learn how to do it you'll be set. Plus if you're breeding, it'll be easier to sell the hatchlings knowing their sex.

Back