• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Manually Shedding My Snake

whiffin

Just Another Member
Suzy's last shed was a bit strange - the shed didn't come off in one go, and the last bit (from just above his vent to the tip of his tail didn't come off at all.

I rekon the viv mustn't be humid enough, so I'll increase it and give him a bath next time.

Anyway, as the shed wasn't successful I held him in a damp tea towel and gently rubbed the skin until it rolled off (in parts). He didn't get too scared, but certainly wasn't amused! As I did it VERY gently it took about 25 mins and I'm sure it didn't hurt him as he was happy to explore my lap.

I was wondering if there is a correct way of manually shedding a snake :confused:

Suzy is about 4 months old BTW

Cheers

RE

I have never had to do it but it sounds you have done it right.

I must say I think I have never had sheding problems because I usualy give mine a bath after the eyes have become clear once more and that seems to get everything done properly.

Hope it works out better for the next time

Cheers
Lisa

:D

yes

That's fine since you went slow :)

My snow has had two bad sheds. I placed him in a rubbermaid with a warm towel and he was all clean within a half hour :)

bmm

Hey Whiffin,

Yeah, that doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary. I've had to do that a couple of times due to dry sheds or specimen's people have brough in with similar shedding problems. One of my hatchling eastern milks had a similar problem and here's what I did:
I soaked him in room temperature water for a few hours in a container with a water level no higher than approximately half his body width. After I could see some of the skin start to detatch, I picked him up and allowed him to comfortably slither through my fingers. As he crawled around, the skin began to slough off and you could see his body working the shed as opposed to me pulling it off. No problems! It's also a little relieving to know that your snake is comfortable enough to shed in your presence...especially in your fingers!
So, in the future, for shedding problems, soaking in room temperature water is always a viable option. It's worked for me, however there are always alternatives

hi

i had the same thing happen to mine it stuck to his tale and couldnt get the skin to catch to i held on to the one part of the skinn and he tuged it off

Back