• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

MBK's

iloveblastbeatz

I'm really interested about MBK's and I would love to get one. Yet after doing a lot of research a lot of sites have said they are very aggressive eaters. Is this true? I have a corn snake so compared to a corn snake how are they different with aggression and personality? Because I love everything about corn snakes :) they are very kind and beautiful!

All snakes can be aggressive eaters. it depends on the animals but yes most kings are aggressive when eating.

But typically my adult female is a kitten as snakes go and so are my other 2 i have. But I had a friend of mine who had a male that was angry lil mbk who got rid of hers. (i bet he was a all black cal king. ;) ) But if you are worried about these animals, I would keep it away from your main collection, maybe in a living room in a display cage. This isolation should ease any aggression. If they can smell their food around them, they are going to be hungry, so just imagine being in a buffet when you are hungry and not allowed to eat. That is a king snake in a herp room.

Thank you for your response. So are they just naturally more aggressive at times? I think they're beautiful animals but if I were to ever get an aggressive one it would break my heart to have to give it up!

Thank you for your response. So are they just naturally more aggressive at times? I think they're beautiful animals but if I were to ever get an aggressive one it would break my heart to have to give it up!

Getting an animal that can be aggressive is part of the hobby. You could get a corn snake that is aggressive or animal that is only aggressive to you and not to someone else. I have been nipped at by friendly calm snakes and held snakes that would take some one's head off and is nice with me. Its part of the hobby and its something you learn to deal and work with.

And when you really think about it, an animal whose head is only bigger than your thumb. What kind of Damage could it do to you??

Here are a couple of my aggressive kings. I can hold these animals and they are fine its just that I have to work with them for a few minutes after getting them out of their cages to be able to hold them.

Here is Set: Cal King
P1010038.jpg

Here is Helix: Florida king
helix7.jpg

But like I said, MBKs tend to be on the more mellow side and I suggest a female then tend to be a bit more relaxed. Keep them away from your collection to be safe and always wash your hands before handling your kings and you should be good.

I've always found great joy in the taming process of my MBKs. Most kings generally have to be worked with to "teach" them that we are not something to fear, nor are we food. Some need it more than others, as others are more fully ruled by instinct. I've that my Florida King is much more relaxed than the MBKs who are much more relaxed than the Cali kings, though this isn't always the case. What I've seen in my collection might be different in others, as was stated above. It depends on the snake. Nevermind the nips or the musks... The best part is the bond you forge with the animals.

I've only ever had one MBK, still have her. She's as tame as can be now but she'll jump if you touch her head/neck. She's never been aggressive her whole life though, even if she was jumpy and musky as a baby.
She's an aggressive feeder, but she doesn't like me to hold the mouse with tongs. When she bites it, if I don't let go fast enough, she'll let go and shy away from it. So I just put it in her warm hide now, and she 'hunts' it.

My female is a tail rattler and musker. The male is just a lil devil. Once I get them in my hands, they arent horrible but not like a corn. With this said, I really haven't been able to work with them as much as I would like to. The male has struck at me, easily 20 times. But, he is tiny enough that it hasn't even drawn blood. I just happened to get 2 beautiful aggressive MBK's.. Lol, I'm sure when I actually get the time to work with them more, they could be awesome snakes.

"Aggressive feeder" doesn't equal "aggressive to handle." I _wish_ every thing I had was as aggressive a feeder as either of my Florida Kings!

Do you know about Mexican Black Milks, BTW? You hardly ever hear about them being aggressive...

Do you know about Mexican Black Milks, BTW? You hardly ever hear about them being aggressive...

LOL like your kings, those are aggressive Feeders. ;) my big male would jump out of the cage during feeding time looking for his rat.

"Aggressive feeder" doesn't equal "aggressive to handle." I _wish_ every thing I had was as aggressive a feeder as either of my Florida Kings!

That is true about the aggression. I just wanted to know how they're aggression was anyway since I have just heard a lot of people giving them away because of the ones that are aggressive.

I do know about the Mexican black milks. Very beautiful as well! But I still looooove that glossy black on the kings :)

MBK's aggressive? Posh! Elle don't call em Poncy for nuffin lol

Really my gals an 08 and such a sweetie. She doesn't jump has musked me twice in the last month and a half that I've had her. She let's me scratch her chin and she lets me even touch her head.

Granted that is not all MBK's but that's why we like diversity no? I keep her in the same conditions as my corns and she gets fed the same way as well.

Back