• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mean?

Pandora

ok guys i finally got my corn. it's a motley snow hatchling. i was holing it a little before i put it in it's cage(i know it needs to be left alone for afew days. i was given my other snake full grown, and so i don't know the behaviour of babies. anyway it like one time chewed on my thumb. does this mean i have a mean snake on my hands? i like to hold pandora. i don't want a snake i can't hold. any advice on this would be muchly appreciated.

hatchlings are vulnerable...

let him be for a few days and then try again. he isn't a mean snake, he just needs time to calm down and adapt to his new environment. how long have you had the snake? did the encounter you just share occur on the day you got your snake? i don't think you have to worry, there's a possibility he thought your finger was food, too. i'm not sure, but i highly doubt you have a mean snake. wait three days...give him a small meal...wait two days...and try handling the little guy again :) best of luck.

Mean snake

There's no such thing. IMHO.
Some are just more wild than others. It's natural I guess. :)

It's probably too early to tell with a hatchling so I wouldn't worry
too much about it. They seem to calm down as they get older.
...at least that's what I've heard... :rolleyes:

But seriously,
I've had my corn now for 2 months+ and she's gotten more and more
calm each week. First week she crawled away from me. Second week she did the same, but not as fast. Third week she stared at me angrily and then nonchalantly crawled away. It's only gotten better. Hey, It can only get better. Don't worry too much. :)

yeah i've only had him for 2 days. it happened after i brought him home. i don't think it was hungry. they said it ate 1 pinkie two days ago. should i feed a hatchling the same as my adult? should it be every 7 to 10 days? i know that corns usually aren't aggrssive. but i saw a thread on here one time about a guy that had a snake that always chewed on him. even with gloves. i guess that's why it made me nervous. to tell you the truth i feel very nervous about raising a hatchling. i am afraid i'm going to do something wrong.i just want him to grow quickly!

There's no such thing...

...as a "mean snake" or a "biting snake" - there are only snakes with "strong feeding responses." :grin01:

for a hatchling...

twice a week is good. start with one pinkie at each feeding. i remember that post, too...he had pictures and stuff of the snake chewing his forearm, kinda freaky. i'm not sure what's up with that serpent, it's got some type of rare issue. i doubt you will run into that problem. as for tagging...i've been tagged once and for a month and a half afterwards i wrapped a pair of boxer shorts (clean) around my arm and THEN picked up my snake because i feared getting bitten again. it didn't hurt the first time, it was unusually painless, but it is scary when they lunge at you, mouths wide open and all that...

if you handle him regularly and feed him in a separate enclosure you should have a very docile snake :) my hatchling is very nervous when i go to pick him up and i know there is a chance he will bite me, but i need to get him used to me. i understand your concern and can tell you care. it'll work out.

sawsehel said:
There's no such thing. IMHO.
Some are just more wild than others. It's natural I guess.

Not true. The stats on a mean (untamable) corn snake are like 1 in 50,000 I'm sure (VERY low), but it does happen. A breeder friend of mine has years of exerience in taming snakes (works with venomous snakes as well), and is very good at taming even mean adult snakes. He decided to keep the meanest of his hatchlings as a challenge to tame. Close to 8 years later, this snake will still tag at you if you look at him funny. He's come a LONG way in taming him, but the fact remains he's never going to be a friendly snake (can't handle him much at all). I'd have to ask, but I think he named it Bitch, or Hell or something to that effect.

Having said that, there's no such thing as a completely tame hatchling. They all need handling (and lots of it). The younger they are, the easier it is. Leave him along long enough to get used to his surroundings (about a week) and then begin handling/taming. Few minutes to start, if need be, and work your way up. If he goes to tag you, DO NOT show your fear. Some people may disagree with me, but snakes can definitely sense fear. If you pull back, he may come at you again.

Everyone has different taming techniques though... maybe someone can suggest one?

It may take a couple months, but you'll get there. I wouldn't worry about it, Pandora. To keep a "mean corn" is SO unlikely. I'm sure in a month or two he'll be JUST FINE for handling. Just keep it up! And good luck. :D

Feed 1 pinkie every 4 days and leave for a min of 24 hours after before handleing. Whilst the snake stays on pinkies no matter if it takes 2 or at a time stick to 4 days for a better growth rate. When you move up to a fuzzie then go to 5 days etc untill it eats a medium-large mouse every 7 days.

Albino corn snake site

Back