• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

measuring temp

SoCal

Hey gang.. Did some searches and read the this FAQ however still have some questions about measuring temp. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341

When I got my setup the store gave me a stick on temp strip and heat lamp... I have switched to a UTH and rheostat but want to make sure I am measuring the temp effectively.. I read that you want to measure the temp on the top of the substrate.. Can I use one of those dial thermometers and just place it on top of the substrate over the UTH? I see that a temp gague with a probe is good and can get one but thought it would be good to just leave the dial on the substrate so I can easialy monitor it when I pass by the viv at various times..

Lemme know.. Thanks in advance!

Jerid

Use your probe to measure the warmest place in the viv, on the bottom directly over the UTH. You want to know the hottest temp your snake can get to.
You can leave the dial in the substrate if you want to, but put it with the probe and compare the two first so you know approximately how "wrong" it is.

Thanks for the reply. I guess measuring the hottest temp makes sense.. My snake does burrow under the substrate a lot so knowing the temp directly at the UTH makes sense.. I'll report back..

My brother insisted that the dial-type thermometer in my nephew's Corn tank would give a rough idea of the temp. One day he checked the tank with his hand - the mat had been accidentally switched off at the wall socket and was stone cold. He doesn't know how long it had been off, as the dial thermometer hadn't moved from its usual setting.

I'd bin it completely.

Back