• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Miami Phase Cornsnake

snakehobbyist

I am going to a reptile expo on Sunday and I am looking into getting a Miami Phase corn snake. I LOVE this morph. I know it's not fancy and it's rather "plain" and "normal", but I love it's sleek colors. I've never been a fan of overly "orangy" corns. I love greys and reds so this is perfect for me.

My question is this: can someone give me the lowdown on the genetics behind a miami? I've heard that's it's a selectively bred Okeetee and I've also heard it's just a selectively bred normal. I want to know so if I do breed him (I want a male since I have two females...my male ended up being female :rolleyes: ), if I need a Miami phase female for him or if his genetics are like a normal so I can get a het amel and prove out my bloodred since she's a possible het...and I can breed him to my snow and get some amels and normals het amel/anery.

I'll admit I know more about ball python genetics and since their genetics are co-dom, it's quite the switch to working with recessive genetics.

The original corns around Miami were a bit smaller and typically had a grayer background. Some lines of Miamis are loclity snakes, others are simply bred for the pretty pattern. Some have been taken to extremes as well as the beautiful banding of the "Milksnake phase" Miami. Genetically speaking, they are normals, and not a result of a recessive trait.

Awesome! That's what I needed to know. I'll be looking for a male het amel to pair with both my bloodred (to prove her PH amel) and to my snow.

If you mix the grey colour with orange the results are often rather dull looking snakes.
I’d suggest you breed it to another grey snake like Miami, creamsicle, rootbeer or to a reverse miami (=amel miami).

If you mix the grey colour with orange the results are often rather dull looking snakes.
I’d suggest you breed it to another grey snake like Miami, creamsicle, rootbeer or to a reverse miami (=amel miami).

Just an FYI, creamsicles and rootbeers are both "hybrids", and a few people would disagree that this pairing should be made at all. Just something for the OP to consider.

Awesome! That's what I needed to know. I'll be looking for a male het amel to pair with both my bloodred (to prove her PH amel) and to my snow.

As previously mentioned, the coined name "Miami" corn was originally given to certain cornsnakes decades ago that were found in the Miami/Dade area of Florida that displayed a grayer background coloration as opposed the the more typical orange coloration. I have also seen some incredible looking "Miami" corns in the next county up from Miami (Broward County). Their saddle blotching can also range from a deep red to lighter orange, or anything in between. Today this "Miami" phenotype (outward visual appearance) can originate from stock that is either from locality-specific wild corns from the Miami area, or from any generic stock that simply has the same basic look from very selective-breeding regardless of where they actually originated from. Today there are a number of selectively line-bred "Miami phase" animals available that are very nice and gray. Now this gray coloration is something that can easily become very deluted and lost quickly when bred into more typical looking, classic orange types of corns. If the gray coloration is important to you to retain, I would breed it to other similar looking corns that are nice and gray, or with other "Miami"-based morphs such as "Crimson" (i.e.hypo Miami's), or "candycane", which are basically amelanistic "Miami phase" corns. Generally when Miami's are bred to other types, the unique and very eye-pleasing gray "Miami" characteristic just ends up getting very diluted. :)

cheers, ~Doug

This is Catalina, my Miami keeper that I bred this year. I wish she would stay this exact color!!

I am line breeding to produce Miamis with light, clean gray backgrounds.

Attachments

• Catalina July 2012-2.jpg
    Catalina July 2012-2.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 91
This is Catalina, my Miami keeper that I bred this year. I wish she would stay this exact color!!

I am line breeding to produce Miamis with light, clean gray backgrounds.

That is an absolutely stellar example of a "Miami" corn, Nanci! :)

Were the parents from some of Carol's stuff? My buddy, Jorge Sierra has some stunning Miami's too.

4199254_orig.jpg

Oh I've seen Jorge's Miamis!! I admire them!

This is the sire of the clutch, Milky. I bred him. I started with a milksnake phase that was bred by Traci Engle from Carol's stock, who was owned and then sold by Carol (Cherry). I bred her to a Miami Motley bred by Carol (El Wray). The above male was my pick of the clutch, and I bred him back to Cherry.

I also have another project involving fully-pinstriped Miami Motleys which may breed next year.

Milksnake phase is just about my favorite locality morph, though.

Attachments

• Miami Baby D and Milky-3.jpg
    Miami Baby D and Milky-3.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 87
That's Baby D in the picture with Milky. See how he has a higher saddle count? I want those big, smooth saddles like Milky has. Catalina has more of that look.

That's Baby D in the picture with Milky. See how he has a higher saddle count? I want those big, smooth saddles like Milky has. Catalina has more of that look.

Very nice indeed!........Milky greatly resmembles this W/C Miami female I had and bred years ago that was captured in the next county up from Miami/Dade(Broward county) as you might recall. She was very special to me, not only because of her looks and that Miami's are also one of my VERY favorite natural variants too, but because she was captured by an old-time childhood friend of mine I've known ever since the first grade from the 1960's and 70's as a young kid. He found her around 1995 or so as a hatchling and gave her to me as a young subadult in trade for a snow and anery hatchling I produced back then. :)

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124634&goto=newpost

dangit!!

here's the pic!,.....as soon as I hit the post button, I knew I forgot the pic..LOL! :shrugs:

img024-1.jpg

She almost looks like an anery at first glance! I'll be getting an anery het amel male for my bloodrec and snow at this expo. I may wait On my Miami phase until next year.

Back