• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Miami?

lyndy299

Do what with the who now?
Here's one of my little ones. Still only 27g but growing well. She was sold as a Miami and was in MiamiXCrimson batch (there were Crimson's too). However, I'm not sure if she's a bright normal, a Miami or something different as she doesn't look typically miami. She is more red than brown. I'm afraid maybe my photography skills could do with some tweaking! The first pic shows her colours the best I think.

PICT0109.jpg

Forum1-2.jpg

PICT0116.jpg

PICT0111.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hope some of you guys can shed some light.

My little guy looks like that, if he turns out like yours I'll be happy. And mine also is supposed to be a miami phase, and personally like the more "earthy" colored ones.

Having a saddle color that is more red than brown may be a highly sought after trait for some Miami breeders! And what really makes a Miami a Miami, IMO, is the ground color...or lack of. Some Miami phase corns have a light tan or creamy ground color while other lines have a more silver ground color. My personal favorite is the silver ground wioth red saddles (see Low Belly Reptiles - user name: Carol for my favorite Miamis). If the ground color on yours stays where it is, I would call it a very nice Miami. But you have to remember, even though the parents were a Miami X crimson (hypo Miami), being a selectively bred morph, not all offspring will be "perfect" Miamis or crimsons. You can get offspring that range from perfect to almost normal in appearance.

Thanks Susan, I adore Low Belly Reptiles Miami's...this girl was a pet shop buy however(an impulsive moment where I saw her without water a day after arriving at the shop and immediately took her home) so I was just interested as to how she would be classed having never seen a miami in the flesh. I guess all I can do is see how she progresses over the next year or so.

She does look kind of miamish to me, especially in the third pic. But there's apparently some orange colouring between the saddles all the way from head to tail, yet it's strongest and most visible around the neck area. Sometimes these blotches between the saddles give you a hint of what colour will the background be when the snake is fully matured. For example normals have grey background as hatchlings but bright orangey blotches between the saddles, and when they mature their background colour develops and becomes orangey tan.

So IF your snake stays as it is and doesn't get any more orange on the background I'd say it's a miami phase. Just like Susan said there are several "levels" of miamis: some having more tan background, some more grey. (I prefer the pale silvery grey ones) Either way - at least in my opinion - the background should still be solid one cold toned colour and lacking all orange between the saddles.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll post some pictures of this gal for you to see when she's matured a bit more.

Back