• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mice Attack!!

rolph1414

Love those snakes!!!!
I purchased 2 mice, 2 hoppers, and 2 pinkies yesterday. They were seperated by category iin brown paper bags. I placed the bags in a plastic reptile container.

I went to lunch. 20 minutes later I came back. The 2 mice ate through there brown bag and then into the hoppers....

They were eating the hoppers when I got back to the room.

When I fed these mice to my corns, they were a little more aggressive than normal. The site of those hoppers being eaten like that was an interesting site to say the least!!!

Were these mice by chance from an evil parallel universe? Those are some hella scary mice, you have.. had there.

/Cartman

*shudders*

Perhaps I am a wimp, but I do have a phobia of dead things... That would scared me...

Were their eyes glowing red, all demon possessed and all? I think I saw this in a movie once...

I am telling you these were some really scary mice. I think there was a full moon. But they were extremely aggressive!~!!

What sexes and age were the adult mice, for curiosity's sake.

I've found males 9 times out of 10 will attack/cannibalize babies that aren't their own or closely related. Middle-aged male mice being more prone to the behviour than their younger counterparts. Young males, generally curl up with the babies. Older ones cuddle and clean them.

With my 4 colonies, I can swap babies from one colony to any other with no problem. It always sucks when you have females in each colony give birth at different times, so you've got a hodgepodge of ages of babies. So I usually separate them into tiny pinks & larger pinks, then fuzzies, then crawlers/hoppers. Really helps with growing fatter, healthier babies.

But new males introduced to a female with babies will cull the litter. Makes sense biologically and genetically. Lions, bears, wolverines, etc will do the same. Kill off the babies and encourage the mom to go into estrus faster, thus ensuring his own genes be passed on.

Btw, paper bags are no real big deal for adult mice. I had two eat a hole in a cardboard animal carrier box from the pet store I bought them from. They ate the hole before I even got home, 40 mins later.

But technically, you should have released the adults from the bag as soon as you got home. They could have suffocated, as they respire a lot faster than asphyxiation-resistant babies. So just be a little more courteous next time with yer feeders. =)

I'm hoping you are killing, or at least stunning these mice before turning them loose on your snake?

rolph1414 said:
I am telling you these were some really scary mice. I think there was a full moon. But they were extremely aggressive!~!!

Dude, I'm telling you. These mice shifted through a hole from an evil parallel universe. They chewed through their bag, then through another bag, and ate two more of their own kind... in under 20 minutes!!

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

I have had my snakes for over two years. 95% of this time I have fed all 6 of them live feeders. I have never had any problems with them.

As far as this situation....I literally left those three bags for 20 minutes.

?? I subscribe to the evil mice theory myself.

I know everyone has their own opinion and history as it regards to feeding and housing their snakes. But as for me and my snakes they are doing great!!!

MegF. said:
I'm hoping you are killing, or at least stunning these mice before turning them loose on your snake?

As the mouse sucks the last few inches of the snake in it's mouth like spaghetti.

Back