• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Milk Snake Feeding/Energy problems

Cmmngskm

I have a Albino Nelsons Milk Snake. I've had him for a few months and recently he has been having feeding problems. For awhile he went a few weeks without eating anything, I chalked it up to summer love syndrome and figured he was distracted. Eventually he did eat one pinkie but apparently did not fully digest and threw it up. I didn't see it because it was hidden under a plant so i fed him a week later another full size again and when i came back from a trip i noticed another regurge, not fully digested like the previous one. I know to give him recovery time and feed him halfies and go slow but he has low energy and only lays on my hand like a limp doll. I'm worried about him...is there any other suggestions for what i should do? I dont want to lose him but his eating habits have completely changed and Im concerned.

I have a Albino Nelsons Milk Snake. I've had him for a few months and recently he has been having feeding problems. For awhile he went a few weeks without eating anything, I chalked it up to summer love syndrome and figured he was distracted. Eventually he did eat one pinkie but apparently did not fully digest and threw it up. I didn't see it because it was hidden under a plant so i fed him a week later another full size again and when i came back from a trip i noticed another regurge, not fully digested like the previous one. I know to give him recovery time and feed him halfies and go slow but he has low energy and only lays on my hand like a limp doll. I'm worried about him...is there any other suggestions for what i should do? I dont want to lose him but his eating habits have completely changed and Im concerned.

Alright, your are not going to like this but get your snake to a vet. I do not think its going to live very long now. The limp sign is very very bad. a calm non spastic milk at that age is a bad sign.

But i would clear out his cage, maybe put him in a small latchable tub with paper towels and toilet paper rolls as hides. Keep an eye on him.

And read this post.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

When I got him he wasn't horribly energetic. I mean he would try to get away but he would be calm and just hang out alot too. Do you think maybe I picked a bad snake?? I got him from a reptile show so I figured it was safe but I guess they can have some that just aren't right? I don't know...maybe I'm just trying to pass the blame. I'll make an appointment to take him to get checked out. Thanks for the advice

One of the things you want to do when buying snakes is to make sure to get an active one. If it moves freely around in your hand and doesnt seem lethargic you got a good one. But from my dealings, when they get lethargic, they are knocking on the door.

What exactly would a vet be able to tell me or do for me? I don't want to seem uncaring but if they are going to look at him and tell me there is nothing they can do I can't see paying a vet bill for that. Do they run tests on snakes or give them medication or something? Or do they just do a visual exam listen to symptoms?

hmm, you could try syringe feeding the milk to get it some nutrition, but with the lack of energy you need to get it to a vet asap, they can run x-rays and blood tests to check for infection or parasites, or impaction, all of which could have caused the original problem. If the vet is good they may be lenient if there is nothing they can do.

They can get out some poop and test that, if they find a visible cause they can prescribe medication but I do agree with trickster: a lack of energy is a bad sign, it needs to be treated for whatever has caused this (probably worms, bacteria or another type of 'bug')! If they can't find anything, they need to do further testing in a lab. That might point out the cause, if not, it's probably a virus, which cannot be battled with medication, only by the snake itself, while relieving its symptoms and taking supportive measures.

I'm sorry to inform that Trix didn't make it. He has passed away :( He will be buried in my flower box next to my house. My ignorance of his condition mixed with I'm pretty sure picking a bad snake in the first place was a bad combination. A hard lesson to learn. I dont need criticism..I'm beating myself up enough on my own

I am sorry about Trix. Was he an 09 hatchling? Sometimes, from what I read, hatchlings just don't make it for no preventable apparent reason. Anyway, I am so sorry!

I believe so. I got him from a reptile show a few months ago. Thanks though. At least I still have Jynx who is doing very well, getting big and gaining weight, healthy One-piece sheds, so that helps me know I can't be a bad owner at least

Don't blame yourself, snakes are extremely good at hiding their bad condition: it took me quite an awful period (3 years ago) with a nasty bacteria taking away a couple of snakes in a row before I got a bit of a hang to notice when they might be ill. If they show it quite clearly, big chance you are too late so close monitoring is the thing to do if a snake changes its behavior. especially related to food, outside of the mating or breeding season. To me losing weight is the clearest message something is wrong, whether they eat or don't eat. And of course weird, smelly poo.

Thanks. These are the first two I have ever had so I am in no way an expert but my other snake jynx is doing wonderfully so I cant be doing everything wrong. Below is the last photo I took of him a couple days ago when I posted this thread. The second is my girl Jynx

Attachments

• IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 10
Back