• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mineral oil for messy sheds?!?!

erisan

Corn's name: Stimpy.
I've heard that mineral oil is useful for sheds that don't come off all the way. When my snake had one I just soaked him in water which worked just fine but I imagine mineral oil would get it off in a heartbeat.

What do you guys think about this?

Thanks! :D

CMatt2157 said:
I've never really had trouble with a shed but check out this link...Bad Shed Tips... Hope it helps.

I'm not having any trouble with sheds right now, I just wanted opinions and experiences with mineral oil use in case my snake ever has a really bad shed. Thanks anyways though.

Yeah, no problem. I wasn't stating your snake did have shed problems, but it looks like mineral oil is one of the last methods practiced. I would just stick stick with the soaking. It sounds like it has worked well with you.

Oooohhhh now that I read it over again I see the paragraph addressing mineral oil. Thanks!

Yeah I think I'll use it as a last resort if soaking doesn't work.

Mineral oil would be a huge mess, especially when you consider that water works just as well. There's also the suggestion for using it to get rid of mites, but I would assume it would be just as messy there too.

My bad shed fix involves shallow water and a few drops of dawn dish soap. Works better than just water in my opinion, and it rinses off without a problem.

Dawn dish soap, or any dish soap for that matter has grease cutting properties. I would be concerned about removing needed oils from the snakes skin, even in a small amount. Did you read that you can do that somewhere? Just curious because it would really scare me. :shrugs:

I have used Snake Oil which is basically mineral oil, sunflower oil, etc on my lizard but I have not needed to use it on my snakes. I have been real luck on their sheds, but if I need to help with a few bits of skin then I mist them and run them thru a wet paper towel a few times. I have large water bowls in each viv for them to relax and soak in to keep them soften. Plus, I keep rocks and such in there so they have plenty of things to rub on to get the old skin off.

We use dish soap at the zoo on our ball pythons who usually only have a good shed once out of every 3 or 4 times and it's never hurt them from what I can tell

MomFor2Gifts said:
Dawn dish soap, or any dish soap for that matter has grease cutting properties. I would be concerned about removing needed oils from the snakes skin, even in a small amount. Did you read that you can do that somewhere? Just curious because it would really scare me. :shrugs:

I have only seen this mentioned in the "getting rid of mites" discussions. You use a couple of drops only. Its purpose is to decrease the surface tension of the water so the mites sink and drown. As far as I could tell, it didn't affect my snakies at all. Thank goodness I've only had one mite problem. That is several mites...one problem....Ugh.

-Tonya

Back