• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Missing Snakey

vovalyosha

Хоккей и
Vladimir is my first and oldest corn and just turned two this past January. On Valentine's Day morning, he escaped. What a day, right? I have searched EVERYWHERE, done the flour/sugar trick that I used with Nikita, and nada. Turns out, one of the siblings of my friend took him out while I was at work and didn't put the lid back on correctly. It's been nearly 6 weeks, and I didn't really want to post on here about it, because I didn't want to believe it. Anyways, does anyone have any weird tricks or something? I have been moping around and it's just gotten to the point of where I don't know where else to look. All trash is gone through, all holes patched up, all doors watched or no longer used to reduce him getting out. All windows have screens, but it's still kind of winter so they stay closed.

Any advice? I am hoping that this will be like Nikita where I do find him. If I have to pull (I hate to say it) Vladimir's body out from somewhere from starvation or dehydration, I won't know what to do, mentally. He was my graduation present from college, in a way, and has just become a very large part of my life. I'm babbling omg sorry.

Don't give up!! Our TINY 10g corn was missing for over two months before we found her! It was the coldest two months of the year and we found her downstairs where the floors are cold, without any food or water! Two weeks later she's a happy, healthy, eating and pooping machine!

You might try a heat source, I lost a big one for Two Months and I put
an oil filled heater and some water bowl on some pillow cases and sheets.

I wasn't worried about a fire as these heaters are among the safest.
Anyway one Morning we saw his head sticking out of the sheets.

Just Something you might try. Hope you find him and don't give up!

Best of Luck!

I had one go missing back in August of 2009 and she was only a year old... neighbor/maintance guy found her under our trailer we use to live in- the storage area in a pvc pipe on March 29, 2010. I still have her today and she's a very great girl to have around and eats good for me always. Don't give up hope and just keep your eye out for her.

Have you put out tape traps? and I'd look when it gets dark, and before it gets light in the morning, as often as you can, to try to catch him moving around.

Just gonna throw this out there... Get another snake. And I don't mean that in the way of "your snake is gone for good" but more as a joking solution because it seems like, no sooner than someone loses their corn and gets a new one, the old one shows up sitting on a windowsill. I'm sure there's some silly adage covering the concept, like murphy's law and occam's razor...

Just gonna throw this out there... Get another snake. And I don't mean that in the way of "your snake is gone for good" but more as a joking solution because it seems like, no sooner than someone loses their corn and gets a new one, the old one shows up sitting on a windowsill. I'm sure there's some silly adage covering the concept, like murphy's law and occam's razor...

This happened to me. We lost Willow, got Brownie, and then Willow showed up soon after, meaning I had to go buy a whole new viv and everything.

I hope you find your little love!

Be sure to leave bowls of water out here and there - dehydration is the biggest danger to a snake lost in the house.

Think like a snake - he wants small, enclosed, dark, and warm. People have even found young snakes in their toasters (and there's a nightmare for an ophidophobe!). Inch-by-inch searching, starting in the room of initial escape, is the absolute best way to go, not ignoring high places, as cornsnakes can and will climb.

You can try a bottle trap (you can google the details, and there's lots of variations, but basically it involves cutting a 2-litre soda bottle in two, putting a brained prey item in the bottom, and inverting the top to sort of funnel the snake in. This may be more effective if you turn the heat down a bit and put the trap on or next to a heat mat or similar, hoping that the warmth and food smell will lure the snake. Leaving a scent trail with the prey item before you construct the trap may help, too.

The bottle trap seems to be the best actual trap. DON'T use a sticky tape trap - it will catch the snake, but if he hits it snout-first he can block his nostrils *and* stick his mouth in a shut position, thereby dying of suffocation. Also, oiling a snake off sticky tape is no fun at all, not for you and not for the snake (if you have to do it, use a food-type oil and just be real slow and gentle).

Don't forget to check your bins; what looks like trash to you may look like a penthouse apartment to your snake. My last escapee, a juvie black rat who took off ca. 5 minutes after getting home and into his RUB (my friends made fun of me for oversecuring it at the time, too, but even so I still underestimated him), I found after less than a day by the simple expedient of inch-by-inch cleaning and searching everything in the room. He was curled up inside an ibuprofen box that had fallen under a piece of furniture - I actually nearly tossed it because I wouldn't have thought he could fit in there, but then I felt the weight of it.

He may well still be in the room in which he escaped; he is likely to be somewhere in the house; he is extraordinarily unlikely to have gone far even if he did leave the house, as snakes are not travellers by nature. And the large majority of snake escapees are eventually found, though sometimes a year and a half or more later.

Good luck!

I had a room mate with a corn that made a break during feeding one day. She had been missing for about a week and came to me while I was sitting in the recliner one night. After that, he gave her to me when I moved out. That was 6 years ago, and she still watches tv with me.

Back