• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mites and the Microwave!

klvan

As an additional procaution does anybody have an opinion
about microwave zapping my vivarium accessories in order to
kill "blow up" any remaining mites/eggs. I have some great cardboard hide boxes that the snake loves but I cant soak them. I thought if I microwave them I will for sure kill them.
Any opinions?

hmm

Good question!!! And honestly I can't say if it would work or not.

But I love Pro Exotics variety of FAQs. I believe they are some of the best around...and just in case you haven't already seen it or want some more ideas on battling your mites I thought I'd include the link:

http://proexotics.com/FAQ_answers_get_rid_of_mites.html

Hopefully someone will know your answer! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

bmm

If I were you, I would just throw them away and get new hides.
I've never had any experiences with mites and from what I've heard I never want to. So just to be safe I would just get rid of them. Just my opinion, of course

MITES

I recently had an episode with mites, and I purchased a product called reptile relief. My snake guys recommended it. It's like a snake shampoo and it reacts with the mites endoskeletal system, kinda blows them up, and anyway I sprayed it on my snakes hide (as well as on the snake and bottom of cage...following the instructions) which is cardboard and it's been almost a month now and we are mite free. I also had a friend of mine who worked with snakes for years say that she would bake the substrate she used in her store first to possibly kill any mites....anyone have any thoughts on this?? Hope my 2 cents helps.:cool:

Be very careful if you do decide to micro the cardboard. I tried to micro my woodchip substrate (thought maybe mites had originated from there) and well erm managed to set fire to micro (not in good books with parents) :eek: If they are cheap hides I'd suggest chucking them and getting new ones. Micro is OK for chunks of wood or bark in my experience. Maybe you'd want to take that with a pinch of salt seeing as I've destroyed kitchen appliances!! :D

Back