• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

mites?????? help

cassandra_kd

So for some crazy reason i thought today was Thursday which is when Zoey is d/t eat. however i have a slight problem. today i went to pet-smart and got a new tank b/c i had a 20 gal short and needed the bigger tank. while we where there my sister asked one of the employee's if she could hold one of the snakes and the lady told her no b/c they are treating them for mites and if she wanted to buy one she would have to wait. i then informed the lady that i had just got a snake from that tank 4 days ago, when i got home i checked Zoey thoroughly, i found a mite just 1 so i am taking her in tomorrow to make them treat her. should i still feed her tomorrow or is that not a good idea, what do i need to watch for after she is treated. after Charlie died i'm just freaking out b/c i'm afraid of something happening to Zoey? ahhh what do i do????? They gave me jurrasimite to kill the mites, it is all natural,has anyone here used that? and did it work well. please help

So for some crazy reason i thought today was Thursday which is when Zoey is d/t eat. however i have a slight problem. today i went to pet-smart and got a new tank b/c i had a 20 gal short and needed the bigger tank. while we where there my sister asked one of the employee's if she could hold one of the snakes and the lady told her no b/c they are treating them for mites and if she wanted to buy one she would have to wait. i then informed the lady that i had just got a snake from that tank 4 days ago, when i got home i checked Zoey thoroughly, i found a mite just 1 so i am taking her in tomorrow to make them treat her. should i still feed her tomorrow or is that not a good idea, what do i need to watch for after she is treated. after Charlie died i'm just freaking out b/c i'm afraid of something happening to Zoey? ahhh what do i do????? They gave me jurrasimite to kill the mites, it is all natural,has anyone here used that? and did it work well. please help
Put off feeding, i do not know how many snakes are in your collection, but if you have more than one, treat them all.. as they will all no doubt come down with mites.
If this is your only snake, I recommend placing it in a tub during treatment, as you will need to completely clean and sanitize its current enclosure. Now there are many mite treatments out there all claiming to be the best. However what I and my breeder friends use, is Seven-5 dust, available at Home Depot, Lowes or any other Garden center.
I just sprinkle a little right into the substrate of the cage/enclosure. this will take care of the problem. I actually do this twice a year as a preventative. I sprinkle some in all tubs after a cleaning, wait a week and repeat. then the following cleaning after that I Just do a normal cleaning without adding the seven-5 dust. Note, i do complete cleanings every 10 to 14 days, that means, dumping substrate, washing/sanitizing tub, ect.
A good bit of advice, if you attend reptile shows, pet stores ect, be careful about handling reptiles unless you are really interested in purchasing that animal, mites and other nasties can easily be carried back by you to your collection.

You should treat the mites yourself don't bring her back to them there is a remedy on here just look up mite treatment in the search function. Make sure you completely empty the tank she is in Bleach it then rinse then use ammonia and rinse again put paper towels down and retreat in 3 weeks to assure not to have another breakout. I'm sure there are more experienced that can instruct you the proper way to treat bringing her back to pet store where they have the out break would not be recommended.

They gave me jurrasimite to kill the mites, it is all natural,has anyone here used that? and did it work well. please help

i never used jurrasimite, but when i had a mite problem with my bp, i bought a can of prevent-a-mite. stuff worked wonders. i did what others recommended, with bleaching and cleaning the cage, then sprayed prevent-a-mite, and waited a few days, rinsing again. i also sprayed my bag of aspen that i had left.

My snake came home on day one with mites. I treated him with NIx, and bathed him in water for about 20-30 minutes. The nix I would dilute in a spay bottle and sprayed him and the viv, A week later NO MITES! and he has been mite free since. I would look in the water, and they were there! The mites. I used a small teaspoon of mild dish soap in his water, and sprayed him before putting him in his viv...hope this helps

Back