• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mites, Where do they come from...

pinupgrl

Ok, you hear a ton about mites and how to treat them but where in the world do they come from? I've never had an issue with them and never known anyone in my area having them. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a climate thing too??

Anyway, just wanted to spark a little conversation on how where they come from that may help avoid getting them in the first place.

They live on snakes and around snakes, in the cage and bedding, and in the carpet around the room. Their eggs are microscopic. I think most often you get infested by going to a show or a pet store or a friends house and you bring them home on your hands and cloths.

Of course there is the obvious, new snake in the house too.

They come, mostly, from new snakes added in to your collection. They spread most easily when proper quarantine procedures are not followed. You can also add them by handling an animal that has mites, and then handling your own animals. That's how I got mites in my collection back in early 2009. It took quite a while to eradicate them all, too.

Back