• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mixed personality

DarrenHyland

Hey,

I've owned my snake for a few months now. At first, he was really shy but over time he has been more active and now comes and go as he pleases.

Now. He became aggressive and wanted to be left alone which I did for a while. I had a tank issue which meant I had to temporarily transfer him to a box which had air holes and a fake plant inside. I kept checking on him and he was fine. This part seems irrelevant, but he's indeed become calmer.

Whenever I actually come to hold him, he's calm and either stays put in a fixed position for a while or generally slithers along my body. He doesn't try escape my grasp, though.

Picking him up recently has been done with the aid of a hook as I generally couldn't go near him without him being on the defensive. Is there anything else I can do to completely tame him and stop his skittish behaviour?

I also have a question; sometimes, a white cloud appear on the inside of the glass, from within the vivarium. It's not a thick substance, but it doesn't seem to be from humidity. It's not too big but definitely noticeable. Any ideas?

Thanks all.

Is it condensation? I'm hoping it's not mould..?

I use a hook to get my 11 year old out when he doesn't want to co-operate. I don't find it problematic, but if you do, then the only way to "train" him is to keep handling him. Leave him alone when in shed and for 3 days after eating, the rest of the time he's yours!

Is it condensation? I'm hoping it's not mould..?

I use a hook to get my 11 year old out when he doesn't want to co-operate. I don't find it problematic, but if you do, then the only way to "train" him is to keep handling him. Leave him alone when in shed and for 3 days after eating, the rest of the time he's yours!
It's definitely not mould. Could be condensation. :spinner:

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try it! How often should I handle him when he's not eating or shedding? Every day? How long each day?

Thanks. :)

Well as I'm guessing you have a little 'un on your hands, every day or every other day is great, he absolutely should get used to being handled while young.

If he's really skittish - and don't worry, pretty much all young corns are - then just handle for 5-10 mins initially every day and increase the time gradually the more relaxed he gets. In your original post though you say that he is calm once you've got him, so I really don't think you have a problem at all :) it's normal to resist being grabbed!!

Condensation - caused by too high humidity. Do you measure humidity at all? If it's reoccuring I'd suggest maybe moving the water bowl further onto the cold side of the viv (if it isn't already) as this can make a huge difference to humidity levels.

P.S. Hello from York :)

Well as I'm guessing you have a little 'un on your hands, every day or every other day is great, he absolutely should get used to being handled while young.

If he's really skittish - and don't worry, pretty much all young corns are - then just handle for 5-10 mins initially every day and increase the time gradually the more relaxed he gets. In your original post though you say that he is calm once you've got him, so I really don't think you have a problem at all :) it's normal to resist being grabbed!!

Condensation - caused by too high humidity. Do you measure humidity at all? If it's reoccuring I'd suggest maybe moving the water bowl further onto the cold side of the viv (if it isn't already) as this can make a huge difference to humidity levels.

P.S. Hello from York :)
Actually, he's 5 years old and just over 4/5 foot. :rofl: I got him from a pet shop where I'm not sure how regularly they are held.

I see what you mean, but he coils up and rattles his tail almost every time.

The water bowl is a good point, though. :)

Ah, in that case, if you're happier with a hook then hook away! I thought I was being daft in my first post assuming you had an adult, it turned out you do! You can still handle every day if you want, and he might get calmer over time, but as long as he's ok when he's actually out then really, don't worry about it.

I have a coathanger on standby at all times :laughs:

Ah, yes definitely move the water bowl a little further away from the heat source, and see if your mystery mist disappears. If it does, it was condensation.

Ah, in that case, if you're happier with a hook then hook away! I thought I was being daft in my first post assuming you had an adult, it turned out you do! You can still handle every day if you want, and he might get calmer over time, but as long as he's ok when he's actually out then really, don't worry about it.

I have a coathanger on standby at all times :laughs:

Ah, yes definitely move the water bowl a little further away from the heat source, and see if your mystery mist disappears. If it does, it was condensation.
Haha. I approached the shop keeper when I bought the hook a few days ago and he looked at me stupid saying corns were harmless. Personally, I just don't want to be strook at every time I go to handle him.

Don't worry about assuming he's an adult. :rofl:

Thanks again!

i got a five year old female corn .. she gets on definsitive mode everynow and then when i have her out cause she crawls in the front pocket of my hoodie and dont wanna come out .. she'd never bite but sometimes try to strick .. i just kept letting her kno i wouldn't hurt her an d picked her up everyday besides shed and after eating .. now she loves being out!

also add mine is 4 foot 5 too ! i only thought she was 3foot 5 maybe but just measured her haha ! i love it .. where mine is use to me now she loves to wrap around me and evertthuingg !

Back