• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mmm, mmm, good!

hzahorka

Borderline Corn Addict
Two of my adult males Boo ( 6 y.o. ghost het snow) and Charlie ( 3 y.o. amel) downing day old chicks. Boo is a little on the shy side when eating so I was only able to get one "ok" pic. All my adults get chicks a couple times a month. Does wonders to put weight back on females after they lay.

Attachments

• ghosteat.jpg
    ghosteat.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 97
  • ameleat.jpg
    ameleat.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 97
  • ameleat2.jpg
    ameleat2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 97
Your snakes are beautiful!
Just a little warning -
someone is bound to flame you for feeding on the substraight :sidestep:
I'm sorry if they do :(

Feeding on the substrate is most hazardous (IMO) when the food item is wet, lots of material sticks to it.

Thank you and I will tell them you said they are beautiful ;o)
AND....before anyone goes to flame me....they originally had their dinner on a couple of paper towels but during their "fight" with dinner they end up moving about quite a bit. I am always standing nearby incase one goes to ingest bedding with their meal and I take the tongs and pull it away from the food before they get a chance.

Hi Clint,
I do realize the dangers of feeding on substrate...which is why I posted a reply about the situation ;o) I will never do anything to intentionally harm my animals. Their mom always keeps a very close eye on them while they eat.

they are nice looking...

specimens. i won't flame you because i left my lighter in the car, but...you mention their "fight for dinner." are your snakes feeding in the same enclosure and going for the same mouse? are they housed together? first...if they are attacking the same mouse they may wind up attacking one another and one or both may get injured. second...the substrate is a potential issue, you can't guarantee that you are removing every bit of it from a mouse and you also really don't want to disrupt them while they are chowing down, they may get stressed, spit it out and show no interest in it for a while. third...if you're feeding them in their living enclosure they may mistake your hand as potential meal when you go in to handle them or tidy up their quarters. i'd highly recommend feeding them individually, outside of their vivarium, in a separate container with no substrate whatsoever to be concerned with. i'm just making suggestions, everyone has their own ways and you can do what you choose, i'm just looking out for your serpent beauts ;)

I think by "fight for dinner" she means their struggle while eating their prey. Lots of corns thrash around and move the paper towel, etc. I personally use a seperate enclosure with a bare bottom tub, no paper towel or anything and just wash it each time. I've found that by adding in paper towel sometimes my corn will just burrow under it to hide and completely ignore her food.

Thanks for everyone's concern here and to answer questions: I have a total of 15 snakes and 20 eggs (yes, corns) as I write this with another girl due to drop in the next week or so. ALL my adults (4 @ 40"+) are housed in their own 40 quart sterilite containers, my sub adults or younger in 15-28 qt style. Sometimes I house my young ones together for a few months but ALWAYS remove them from each other for feeding, spraying each one with a little warm water after they have eaten and before they get put back in their bins. I never feed with my hands, always tongs. I feed my adults in their bins simply because I do not have room to keep bringing in extra feeding containers for each one nor do I have the time to patiently wait while each one eats let's say in the bottom of my shower for example ;o) Which by the way is the one place I ended up getting a nasty bite in Jan. '05 from my amel. male after he was done eating and I went to pick him up to put back in his house! It is easier for me to feed each adult in their own space on a paper towel (well, that's where the food starts out at lol) and stay in the room to watch them closely all at the same time. It saves me about an hour doing so. I also try to feed food items dry or nearly dry but totally thawed to reduce further the chance of getting substrate clinging to it. I've had snakes for the last 7 years now but I got my first one when I was 10. I have never had a problem and pray I never do ;o)

Back