• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moist Hides

Druantia

Ok, question for everyone...

Do you use moist hides, and if so what do you put in them (moss, paper towels, aspen, etc.)

Do you leave them in the viv all the time or just around shed time?

How often do you change the material in the hide? Have you had any problems with it getting funky (and not in a good way)?

TYIA,
Kristen

I use Sphagnum moss that I place into a container (Blue Bunny Frozen Yogurt containers work great! They are made of good plastic, and you pay the same price you would for a little tub over in housewares but with the Blue Bunny ones you get to eat the ice-cream first, lol!)

I moisten the moss, place it into the little tub (with a hole cut in the side and the lid snapped tight) and then I slide my snake into it so they know that it's available and I just leave it in there the whole time so they can decide to use it if they want.

I just check it every few days so that I know if it needs re-moistened or if they poo-ed in it and it needs cleaning (which has never happened yet, they usually go in a corner, not in their hides; at least mine do). I've heard that it can get moldy but it's never happened to me yet.

Oh, and with the moss (and any organic thing that you buy from the store that you want to use for your snakes) you should bake it or place it in the microwave to kill any bugs, bacteria, or parasites. I place the moss in a cup, moisten the moss with water, place it in the microwave for three minutes, rinse it out with cool water (it will be REALLY hot. I learned that lesson the hard way by burning my finger), and they squeeze it a little so it's not sopping and then place it into the container.

Here's a pic of the ice-cream/frozen yogurt containers that I'm talking about.

Attachments

• 745661.gif
    745661.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 51
I use them for my milk snakes(they seem to need a higher humidity %) I take a cheap gladware container of appropriate size cut a hole in it. I use paper towels, I just moisten the towels, rollem up in some sort of ball, or whatever and throw it in, and shut the lid. It's actually been very effective for my milks...some were having shedding issues, but not any more.
I don't use anything for my corns, but if one seemed to have a shedding problem, I would use the same thing.

Yeah, I agree that it might not even be necessary for corns at all if they are having good sheds. But mine seem to actually enjoy using it and spend a lot of their time in their moist box sleeping so I don't have the heart to remove it.

It's so cute when they pop their little heads out to see what I am doing when I walk into the room ^_^.

Where I am, it is VERY dry.... so I use humid hides for those that don't have good shedding habits ( only 2 out of 24 corns, my VBB and my Florida king). I also give baths to them if they don't get complete sheds.

I've been using a humidity hide for my corn for 5months I now think, she hasn't had a problem shedding since. I use eco-earth, organic potting soil, or a combination of both. I've always used humid hides for my leopard geckos so when Citrus started having bad sheds I figured if it works for the leopard geckos why wouldn't it work for a corn snake? Honestly it's her favorite hide too, shes always in it lol.

Back