• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moisture and incubation

Otter_23

My girl laid 19 eggs and I put them in a container surrounded with sphagnum moss. A little bit of each egg can be seen on the top. The problem is this year i am using a hovabator and the moss on the top is drying out in less than a week. What is the best way to keep the moss moist? I know some species you can't mist the eggs directly so how should I go about getting the moist again? Is there also a way with the hovas to keep the moss from drying so quickly? I do have one hole in the container on the top but I put tape over it for now and that didn't seem to help. ( I am going to take the tape off when they are closer to pipping, I don't want anyone stuck to it even though the hole is relatively small). Thanks for your time
Mark Westberg

to avoid that problem i use a mixture of vermeculite with some perlite as well. i feel the perlite holds moisture as does vermeculite, but i like to make it a mixture because i think vermeculite alone causes mold to grow quicker. i then moisten the mixture with warm water until it sticks together a bit when you squeeze it. i feel this is a good way to start off. if i notice the mixture is drying throughout the incubating time i take a 1cc syringe and add some water with that directly into the mixture, avoiding the eggs directly. i dont like using moss for incubating for the exact problems you are having. i would suggest trying a new method. this method is one i like to use. others prefer different ways. take care and good luck.

Back