• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Monthly costs

Russellm0704

Hey I have two available spaces in my leopard gecko rack(28 qt tubs) and I'm looking to fill them with corn snakes. I've done a lot of research and think I am ready to get one corn to start out with. Just wondering how much you guys usually spend a month to feed a single corn snake frozen mice, and where is the best place to get them?(bulk or pet store?) thankyou so much

Pet store normally charges 6-8 pinkies for $10. The fuzzies and such go up in price for less mice.

If you only have one corn, then petshop route makes sense to do. I have three currently, and it no longer makes sense with the two little ones eating 12 pinkie mice total a month, and my bigger one on fuzzies (about 4-5 fuzzies total a month). I am now looking at ordering from micedirect or rodentpro, as it is cheaper. Pinkies order on line is $16 for a hundred, and fuzzies are $19 for hundred. The shipping to get them is costly though.

I have no idea. I have never tried to figure it up. So lets take a look, one adult corn will eat 1 or 2 adult mice a week. My pet store price is 2.50 each feeder mouse. That is 5 dollars a week or 20.00 dollars a month. Frozen mice .52 cents each plus shipping so the cost is really a 1 dollar if you buy in bulk. Frozen price per week is 2 dollars or 8 dollars a month.

I used adult mice because they are the most expensive to buy.

I will go with the pet store route then, thank you so much, and does petco or petsmart sell frozen mice? Never seen them there when getting worms for my geckos

Yep, they are individually packaged in a box which is in a freezer unit at petsmart. They also keep frozen fish food items in the unit, and its located over by the fish.

if you can find a local rodent breeder, that's your best bet! But if you only have one snake the frozen rodents at petco/smart do just fine :)

Petco and petsmart mice are GROSS IMHO. They are individually packaged, which is nice, but they are scrawny and bony and half the size that normal mice are and EXPENSIVE for what you are getting. If you can find a mom and pop type place that sells frozen rodents, you'll probably get much more nutritious mouseicles and have a better size selection. It might not matter too much when the snakes are on pinkies, but once they are up to fuzzy mice, the difference becomes clear. My 09 was eating petco adults, but they were smaller than the hoppers i got from my local pet store.

Russelm0704....

Check your local laws. GA has strict laws on cornsnakes.....It sucks but check them anyways. Also Mice direct is in cleveland GA. (Northeast GA). Buying bulk and picking them up might suit you better.

EVERY wild species of nonvenomous Snake, Lizard, and Land Turtle/Tortoise are protected in Georgia and illegal to keep without proper permits. Basically, if you can catch it in Georgia, you generally can't keep it in Georgia.

Below is a list of reptile and amphibian species native to Georgia that are ILLEGAL to keep as pets in Georgia.

Crocodilians:
•Alligator

Turtles/Tortoises:
•Alligator Snapping Turtle
•Eastern Box Turtle
•Florida Box Turtle
•Gulf Coast Box Turtle
•Three Toed Box Turtle
•Gopher Tortoise
•Bog Turtle
•Alabama Map Turtle
•Barbour's Map Turtle
•Common Map Turtle
•Diamondback Terrapin
•Green Sea Turtle
•Hawksbill Sea Turtle
•Leatherback Sea Turtle
•Loggerhead Sea Turtle
•Ridley Sea Turtle
•Spotted Turtle

Snakes:
•Black Racer
•Brown Snake
•Coachwhip
•Corn Snake
•Glossy Crayfish Snake
•Striped Crayfish Snake
•Southeastern Crowned Snake
•Central Florida Crowned Snake
•Rough Earth Snake
•Smooth Earth Snake
•Florida Worm Lizard
•Eastern Hognose Snake
•Southern Hognose Snake
•Eastern Indigo Snake
•Eastern Kingsnake
•Black Kingsnake
•Mole Kingsnake
•Scarlet Kingsnake
•Milksnake
•Mud Snake
•Northern Pine Snake
•Florida Pine Snake
•Garter Snake
•Pine Woods Snake
•Queen Snake
•Rainbow Snake
•Black Ratsnake
•Gray Ratsnake
•Yellow Ratsnake
•Redbellied Snake
•Ribbon Snake
•Ringneck Snake
•Rough Green Snake
•Scarlet Snake
•Banded Water Snake
•Brown Water Snake
•Florida Water Snake
•Green Water Snake
•Northern Water Snake
•Redbelly Water Snake
•Worm Snake

Lizards:
•Fence Lizard
•Eastern Glass Lizard
•Island Glass Lizard
•Mimic Glass Lizard
•Slender Glass Lizard
•Green Anole
•Six-lined Racerunner
•Broadhead Skink
•Coal Skink
•Five-lined Skink
•Southeastern Five-lined Skink
•Ground Skink
•Mole Skink

Amphibians:
•Flatwoods Salamander
•Georgia Blind Salamander
•Green Salamander
•Hellbender
•One-toed Amphiuma
•Pigeon Mountain Salamander
•Striped Newt

Keeping snakes illegally and irresponsibly contributes to the stigma surrounding the herp community. It's frustrating because the laws are often completely pointless. Legally, I can't bring the dog that I raised and trained into the state where I now reside; why? Because he has wolf in him. Does he look scary, sure, but he is sweet and gentle and more patient with kids than my lab ever was. He is 15 now, so he won't be moving, but on principle it is frustrating.

Russell - You do not own any illegel snakes because it is legel to keep Emorys in your state. You just have a new color morph of a Emory rat snake. The state would have to do DNA testing to prove any different and I bet the DNA of Emorys is to close to Corns to tell the difference.

Back